150 days and counting? Or maybe just 21....

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by jay13, Sep 10, 2010.

1. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I think we may have timed this one right this time, our doe Vanilli was being awful mopey was off her feed and everything yesterday so we put the buck in and she let him *do his thing* I know I am taking a risk here with february kids but our gal is only producing 5 -6 cups of milk a day and its been on a steady decline for a few weeks now.

Hopefully we will have kids or at least know if she goes back into heat in the next few weeks. I guess for me the kicker indication was when I finished milking her yesterday afternoon, instead of staying on the stand and finishing her feed, she made a bee line for the fence line closest to the buck. Am I mistaken possibly? Is it too soon for Alpines to be going into season? Advice is welcomed!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    this is the time of year for seasonal breeders like Alpines. Im positive if she let the buck breed her and was that forward with her interest then she was in standing heat. You will know if she settles in 18-21 days if she goes back into heat or not

3. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Thanks Stacey. Everyone says they breed in the fall, but I don't really think of it as fall yet. Maybe I am just in denial...lol. Hopefully Millie is bred soon too, I am giving her every opportunity, LITERALLY by housing her with the buck right now. She was acting bucky by actually trying to mount my other girl repeatedly last weekend but other than that not much. I put her in about a week ago and am watching for any other signs. She is the one I think was bred last fall but probably miscarried? and then didn't take again late last winter but probably not her, probably just the timing. Fingers crossed for this year.