The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have two does that are due today but aren’t looking like they are going to kid I’ve never had a goat go pass 150 days... I’m wondering if anyone here has experience goats going pass this time. Could it be because of the rough winter we had? Meadow ( our Nubian) is her first pregnancy and Poppy ( our Saanan) it’s her third pregnancy but my first yr having her. Thanks for the feedback in advance

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some photos of my goats!
Meadow is bred to Blue and Poppy is bred to Whiskey.

This is Poppy❤ She is a Saanan And is soo Sweet!
23FF809C-A90F-4C6A-B480-B739CE8528D9.jpeg

9E093F8B-53A1-4DDA-B257-B9206A7AC4BB.jpeg

Whiskey isn't my billy but I do have his son to use next year when he is old enough.
68235891-AA38-489B-AA54-140CE825B1D9.jpeg

Our Nubian,Meadow is a little spitfire who loves to play!
19FF9565-B463-40C2-B222-7B3437755C36.jpeg

Blue is such a gentle boy and I am sooo excited to see what his and Meadows babies look like!!!
8AA9245E-379E-46AA-90C4-DC3CC92A6AE8.jpeg

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Your first doe isn't a Saanen, at least she isn't a purebred Saanen. Purebred Saanens are solid white. :) She's a gorgeous girl though!

We had a doe got to day 159 last year. It was torture!! :ahh:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes your right.., she is a Sable..Sable goats are derived from the Saanen breed which originated in Switzerland. They may be any color or combination of colors except white or light cream. Sables are the result of the interaction of recessive genes from the sire and from the dam....
thank you.. she's my favorite it's good to know they can go longer.. I've just never experienced it so I was concerned!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Oh I was guessing Togg! Lol, I've seen Sables of all different colors/patterns but I've never seen one with those markings. She's so pretty, and she has a nice udder going on there! Is she a first freshener?

Reactions: wifeof1

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Meadow the Nubian is her first year but it’s Poppy’s third year. But my first year for having them. I’ve farmed for 5 years then took a break after my mom died,almost 3 years and now I’m starting out again and feel like a newbie lol I need all the help and encouragement I can get lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol he definitely was the preferred Buck to the girls lol
I can’t wait to see what comes out of my does!!! Waiting is hard and the more I read I get confused. There is so much info out there.. everyone has options. It’s so difficult to fiGure our what is the right way especially when it comes To feeding and what wormer is the best. Curious ... how do you feed your pregnant does and then after they kid???
Thanks for all the reply’s

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
My Nubians (bucks, does and young kids) get 24/7 access to alfalfa hay. In the stand, the pregnant/lactating does get about 4-6 cups (2x a day) of 2 parts Purina Goat Chow to 1 part whole oats (you can get both at TSC).

Last year I was feeding mostly grass hay with a little bit of alfalfa every day, and they got Dumor goat feed. They had a lot of trouble keeping their weight up and their milk production was very low. Not even a week after switching to my Purina Goat Chow/whole oats mix, their milk production doubled. So I highly recommend it!

Reactions: Bina and Dwarf Dad

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
My Nubians (bucks, does and young kids) get 24/7 access to alfalfa hay. In the stand, the pregnant/lactating does get about 4-6 cups (2x a day) of 2 parts Purina Goat Chow to 1 part whole oats (you can get both at TSC).

Last year I was feeding mostly grass hay with a little bit of alfalfa every day, and they got Dumor goat feed. They had a lot of trouble keeping their weight up and their milk production was very low. Not even a week after switching to my Purina Goat Chow/whole oats mix, their milk production doubled. So I highly recommend it!
@Goat_Scout - you think it was the feed/grain switch that improved weight retention & milk production or the switch to full access alfalfa?? I'm always trying to balance this in my head, I usually feel my money is better spent on alfalfa.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Lol he definitely was the preferred Buck to the girls lol
I can't wait to see what comes out of my does!!! Waiting is hard and the more I read I get confused. There is so much info out there.. everyone has options. It's so difficult to fiGure our what is the right way especially when it comes To feeding and what wormer is the best. Curious ... how do you feed your pregnant does and then after they kid???
Thanks for all the reply's
There is a LOT of information and even more opinions out there - just keep reading! If you are learning, you can only improve.

My does do not get milked. They are fed free choice grass hay and small portions of pelleted feed and alfalfa pellets per day (maybe a half pound of each per head.) Once they kid the pelleted feed and alfalfa pellets are increased to several pounds a day.

In my opinion, the best place for deworming information is hands down the American Consortium for Small Ruminant Parasite Control. Their website is wormx.info and they have a great Facebook page as well. So many videos and publications and the best dosing charts around.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
@Goat_Scout - you think it was the feed/grain switch that improved weight retention & milk production or the switch to full access alfalfa?? I'm always trying to balance this in my head, I usually feel my money is better spent on alfalfa.
Well I actually didn't put them on 24/7 alfalfa until the following August/September. So it was definitely the grain that doubled their milk production. But the alfalfa is most certainly helping them all maintain a good weight.

Reactions: SalteyLove

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thank you! Sorry for the delayed reply...been super busy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Poppy and Meadow had their babies on day 154! It's been very busy here trying to make sure Both mommas are good! Poppy had a long labor starting at 11 pm the night before and didn't finish till 8 the next morning. She had triplet boys! She needed help to get them out and as she was in labor with the last baby Meadow decided to go into labor as well It lasted just over an hr front start to finish but then after all laboring done she rejected her baby, she's a first time mom. I think she was more scared of the little girl then anything else..we had to put Meadow on the stand to make sure the baby got her colostrum. Then the next 24 hrs we tagged team every hr to double check they all were getting feed and that mommas were ok especially Poppy! Here are some pictures to enjoy They are 6 days old today! All healthy and strong. Meadow is doing fantastic, I'm concerned about Poppy tho, she's so thin and is still bleeding more then I like. I'm starting her on 18% Milkers feed from Kent and upping her alfalfa, in addition to what she's already getting feed.

4BA273A4-398C-4289-960D-6ED3A859423B.jpeg

D62E0EB1-21B6-4948-B377-3FE08EC52947.jpeg
8ADD6A11-9B4D-4009-B503-54D9726ED1F9.jpeg

9DED688F-9A8C-43DF-80AD-D742454F696A.jpeg

568E140F-2C04-478B-BAB7-AD4785B84E7D.jpeg

63C456FF-53C5-408E-A6C5-4A4476A0F50C.jpeg

1 - 20 of 35 Posts