The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be taking my girls to a buck to be bred.
The breeder said we could leave them there for a MONTH!
I will really mis em.
Is there any way to know for sure if they are preg. Or not?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Assuming you take them when they come in heat, I would think the breeder would keep an eye on them to see if they come back in heat after servicing by the buck. If not, you can do a blood test 30 days after servicing.

·
2,203 Posts
I would ask her to send a buck rag to jump start their heats, unless you've been counting days from last heat. Ideally for you you should have them down there 3 days before their heat, and pick them up 3 days after their second heat there (unless they stuck). That way you get two services for your money just in case. If you have more than one doe going, I would synchronize their heats two days apart so they cycle together and this gives the buck enough time to be interested in both.

We charge anywhere from $35-75 depending on quality, progeny, lineage, and show results.

·
14,615 Posts
I do not know of any breeder who will not let the buck cover again with no charge for stud if she didn't take during the 1st heat.
Mjs is right. Take them a few days before they are due to come in.

·
2,203 Posts
I do not know of any breeder who will not let the buck cover again with no charge for stud if she didn't take during the 1st heat.
Mjs is right. Take them a few days before they are due to come in.
My first year I paid board for two does that the breeder insisted they stay a month. They came into heat one time in the middle of their stay. They both repeated heats and they did not offer free of charge. It was another service fee, no board this time however, and max of 5 day stay. Needless to say we did not use the buck again, and went elsewhere.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So...should I leave my does there for a month to be on the safe side?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I would ask the breeder to watch for servicing by the buck. Marking harnesses are great!

Also, you can synchronize heat cycles. Lute, CIDRs and such are all good for bringing them into heat quick.

·
2,203 Posts
So...should I leave my does there for a month to be on the safe side?
I would yes. Get two natural heats. As Dani mentioned, I would strike up a heat using hormone therapy the first time, to get service faster. Or it's a waiting game.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts