158 Days pregnant w/ hard left side udder

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by proudmama923, May 23, 2013.

1. proudmama923

proudmama923 New Member

May 23, 2013
    Our nubian doe, Pepsi, was due to have her kids several days ago.... We're on day 158 and still no signs of labor. Everything was looking fine until I went out to milk the goats this afternoon and Pepsi's udder (left side) was swollen significantly more than the other side. It was not that way this morning when my sister went to care for the goats. Her udder filled up about a week ago, but the left side was not swollen like it was tonight... so, it was a pretty huge change in a period of 12 hours. She is a first freshener, but I'm not sure if that could have anything to do with it. Could it be mastitis? Or something else. I'm attaching a few pictures for reference.

Attached Files:

2. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

I don't know the answer to your question, but she is adorable....anything yet?

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Pretty girl. Is she showing any signs of labor? I had one acting like labor for a couple of days, upon examination I found a malpositioned kid.

I would milk a little out of the left udder and do a mastitis test, just to be sure. Hopefully it just means she will kid soon. If its really hard, I would massage it with some warm compress. You can freeze the colostrum for future use. Did you take her temp? Good luck.

4. proudmama923

proudmama923 New Member

May 23, 2013
    We read a few goat books last night and Googled a little bit. Our veterinarian doesn't sound too concerned about it but she's going to try to make it out here tomorrow, just to make sure everything is fine. The closest thing we could find was "Edema." They say it is pretty rare and it usually happens in older goats, but also can be caused by not milking the doe previous to kidding... and sometimes they say it just happens for no apparent reason. We're going to try the compresses today. We gave her some parsley last night, which it says will cure the edema but I'm not sure if it was enough to help. It looks painful/uncomfortable for her. We went out and milked her last night, when we read the bit about it possibly being caused by not milking before the babies arrive. We saved the colostrum and froze it, but when my sister went out to milk them this morning, she said it was coming out like tomato soup. Poor Pepsi!

No babies yet. They're still kicking around, but Pepsi is not showing any signs of labor whatsoever... we bred her to two different bucks (she went back into heat after the first breeding), so the longer it takes, the more we are thinking she may have been bred to the last buck, instead. She was showing all the signs of labor (pawing, restlessness, stretching, contractions, mucus, getting up and laying down, moving off by herself) last week, so it may have just been a false labor.

Anyway, thank you for the replies! I'm going to go try the compress. =)

5. proudmama923

proudmama923 New Member

May 23, 2013
    Okay, just for information's sake, I'm posting an update for Pepsi. Her udder is completely back to normal. My sister tried the compresses and also started giving Pepsi 5 (500mg) tablets of ground vitamin C in the morning and at night and she has recovered completely. No babies yet, so we are thinking that she may have been bred to the later buck, instead of the first one we had her bred to. So, expecting babies in June!