16 year old wether

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dobe627, Jun 1, 2009.

1. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Hey everyone, I have a 16 year old wether( supposed to be a pygmy but as big as my boers). Anyway, I don't think his time is up yet. But he's really been limping on a front leg. It's actually been like that a few months. Hooves are fine. No breaks. Vet looked months ago. Suggested aspirin for awhile then bute. He would be ok then limp agian. His temp is normal, he will eat. Just doesn't move around with the herd as much. But if he thinks your coming to get him he sure can take off. I did notice his ankel kind of made a creaking noise when I checked him the other day. So I am thinking arthritis. I know alot of you use herbs and stuff and just wondered what I could do for the old guy. Like I said it doesn't seem to be his time to go yet as he seems in good spirits. Also he just suddenly started to lose more hair then normal. I will start him on zinc for that as I don't see any bugs. I will call the vet but she's not in on mondays. Thanks everyone, I know Dale will appreciate it too.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow..........he has lived a very long and healthy life.....his pain and noise in his knee... is most likely from his age......ask you vet ...what the best pain med ....would be for him and his age............. :hug:

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    if you want to go a natural alternative, my vet suggested bark from a willow tree, an anti-inflammatory and pain relief :thumb:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    We also use Arnica Montana. I gave my 15 year old it for weeks before i lost her to cancer. It seemed to help her but did not take the pain all the way away. we did do the Bute but I decided that I could not give her a shot like that for her final days.

5. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    You can get bute in tablet form. that is what we fed our old doe. Fir Meadow has some great herb mixes that might help.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like your old fellow has some arthritis, I agree that aspirin can be hard on the gut....I have an old dog that I had to stop giving it to because of stomach bleeding.
    Try getting the Arnica, it's natural and should help and keep on the TLC, he's certainly had a good deal of that already to make it this far :hug:

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    My girl is on powdered bute, she gets it on a slice of bread with butter :cool:

8. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Thanks you guys(ladys). Arnica is the one I have read alot of you use. Where can I get that? I too don't want to keep giving him shots. He really hates them. And I hate stressing him out. Except for the limp and hair loss( which he did a few years ago) he seems pretty healthy yet. Likes to come up for his head rubs and makes sure he gets his grain. I will see what the vet has to say. Missed her first call this am waiting for her to call back. Will see about another easier form of bute. Thanks again.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You can get the Srnica Montan at a Helath food store.

There are two different forms of it. One is a flat pill and one is round like a small ball. The small ball ones take FOREVER to dissolve in water so I use the other one when ever possible. They dissolve in seconds, and I would just use a syringe and give it orally. It is best if you can NOT touch them, and if he can get them dissolved they work better. I gave them to my Liz like 5-6 twice a day.