The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
What dewormer(s) did you use and at what dosage? Was a fecal done on either the doe or kid? How much each do the doe and kid weigh? What is the actual rectal temperature of the kid? Is the kid being dam or bottle raised?

What symptoms appeared, if any, that indicated the doe and especially the kid needed to be dewormed?

P.S. Welcome to The Goat Spot

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
First, please give her probios.

Second, answer all the important questions mentioned above.

Now I will say that it’s important to remember dewormers are poisons, and so it’s not unlikely that they can cause diarrhea afterwards.

Support with electrolytes if you believe the goat is getting dehydrated.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Welcome fellow Texan! This is a great spot to hang out.
Were she mine:
I'd get some spectoguard or scourhalt and give it to the little one if she's not improved quickly. Babies can and will dehydrate quickly. As stated probios and vitamin b complex would also be wise to help recover. 17 days old is about right for coccidia so a fecal is also important to have run because coccidiosis can damage the intestinal tract really quickly.
Do you have a good vet? There's a lot of us from Texas and there's probably someone fairly close to you if you need a vet recommendation.
I'm between DFW and Waco if that helps.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What dewormer(s) did you use and at what dosage? Was a fecal done on either the doe or kid? How much each do the doe and kid weigh? What is the actual rectal temperature of the kid? Is the kid being dam or bottle raised?

What symptoms appeared, if any, that indicated the doe and especially the kid needed to be dewormed?

P.S. Welcome to The Goat Spot
Thank you!!
We are in Orange Texas and the closest vet we have found that sees goats is in Liberty, about an hour from us.
The dewormer we used is Ivermectin. We gave her about .2 of an ML. She weighs about 6lbs. We bought them from an auction when she was 2 days old. Her Momma weighs about 75lbs. No to fecal. No idea on rectal temp but I will do that tomorrow. She is being raised by her Momma. We determined dewormer was needed based off her color of her eye lids. I think I answered all the questions.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Thank you for answering the questions. It is appreciated by me as well as the other members reading your post. Good luck with the kid, I hope the little one improves rapidly.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Ok, I'm not sure where Orange is so I can't help there. dewormer medicines don't take care of coccidia they're in a different class of parasites. It requires a different treatment that's why having a fecal run is so important. There are labs you can mail some goat berries to and they'll do the fecal and email you the results. I believe meadow mist is one. Are you near a Texas A&M Campus? Their vet schools have great labs and are reasonable price wise.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Great job checking the eyelids for anemia! Did you give the Ivermectin injected or orally?

At 17 days the anemia is not caused by stomach parasites. It's probably lice but it could be coccidia. Check closely parting the fur for lice. Using a flashlights helps.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Both are doing well. The 17 day old is now 26 days old and all seems well......we appear to be stable right now. Our biggest issue is finishing the pasture fence so we can move the loafing shed and expand it. We are hoping we have hit our balance and everything stays smooth! Thank you for following up!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great job checking the eyelids for anemia! Did you give the Ivermectin injected or orally?

At 17 days the anemia is not caused by stomach parasites. It's probably lice but it could be coccidia. Check closely parting the fur for lice. Using a flashlights helps.
I'm sorry I missed this message! Ivermectin was given orally as directed by vet over the phone. She is doing well but now she has a small bald spot on her shoulder.......

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Is the bald spot circular? Red? Dry & scaly? Ringworm is a possibility but certainly not the only one. Humans can get ringworm and the itch will drive you crazy so use gloves.

I still recommend a close check for lice which can cause or contribute to anemia. Has the FAMACHA score improved?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Somewhat circular but not red or scaly.....we are taking her to the vet at 230 today so more info to follow. Yes! All FAMACHA scores have improved! Everyone seems good for now....we have one skinny girl with a dirty rump but we are watching her closely and are going to learn to do our own decals from a local source.....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What did the vet say?
Okay.....so we saw Dr Kaye at Dowlen Rd Vet! About 15 min drive for us and it was great! So our little girl does not have ring worm (did not know they use a black light to check that and if it glows it is ringworm) Dr K said the area had "thickened" so more than likely it is a trauma, such as, getting headed butted or pushed into a stick. She gave us some topical to rub on the area. She also did a fecal and she confirmed worms but no coccidia! (Yay). She said the diarrhea is most likely due to worms and gave us a dewormer that she prefer but she also like Ivermectin Injectable, given by mouth to goats. She says she is NOT a goat expert but has some working knowledge and will gladly work with us, even making farm calls! All our goats are doing well and our biggest problem now is this wet, muddy ground........besides their new animal cracker addiction.......which has made all of them, except one, super friendly! Stable is good!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts