The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have 17 years old goat, who skip fence and accidentaly get breed. Her due date is 07.03. all was fine until last 3 days she just laying and cant get up.. she eat and drink fine but she cant get up, i call vet je gave her minerals and calcium but nothing ..my goat is not look week its masive , fat alpine goat the biggest i have.. last time she have kids was in 2018 when she was 14.. and then i decided to stop.. but this year she ruin whole pen to get to buck.. am so sad.. and dont know what will happend to her and babies

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts
Was she just bred?
You say 7-3 (July)due date?
That is a long time away.

If that is the case you can lute her if you are concerned for her.
But we need to get her through this issue.
If she was just bred, it isn’t a calcium or ketone issue.

Do you have any whitetail deer around you? If so, mengeal worm comes to mind.
Is she weak in the rear?

Is she going to one side or flanking with her head?
Putting her head one way or up?
Does she act blind?
Slack jaw?

Listeria or polio comes to mind.

What is she doing exactly?

What is her temp?

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
Since you know her due date..might discuss with your vet about inducing her now. She is close enough that babies should be viable. In the mean time

I would treat for ketosis and hypocalcemia

Give her 60 cc of a 50/50 mix of molasses and water. Drench slowly. Every 6 hours
Calcium support needs to be daily. What did the vet give and what do you have access to? You can start with carrot and celery juice of 2 each every 4 to 6 hours.
Daily B complex shot would be good as a support.

Need to get her up and moving. Use a large towel under her belly like a sling to help support her weight. Make sure to spread it all the way out in her belly. Hold all 4 corners and lift.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree with happybleats that if you are absolutely certain she is due 7/3, you should have the vet induce. If the vet gives her steroids and lutelyse, the steroids will help the babies in their final stage of development and the drugs will make her deliver in about 48 hours. Especially given the age of the doe I think ending the pregnancy as soon as possible is your best chance of saving her.

Treating her for toxemia and hypocalcemia are good bets, and so is trying to get her up. Prognosis for toxemia is very poor once they go down so if you can get her up, every little bit will help.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
Glad she seems happier. Keep up the sugars to support her system.

Best wishes

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The vet think that problem is that she have to many kids inside 4/5 and also she is very old.. she always gave triplets but this year she was biggest then ever.. also if she survive i dont know what to do to stop her breeding.. this year I separate her and she destroyed whole pen and jumed on quite high wall to get to the Buck.. i want just her to be here grandmother goat on farm and live till she died i dont want butcher her beacause se have jer for 17 years and she is Like family

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
The sugars will help her maintain balance until she kids. Multiple kids can cause energy loss.

It's very hard to keep a determined goat from breeding. Not sure your set up but if you can move the bucks further away that may help. A frisky Wether may help curb her need to breed. The hormonal drive of nature can be pretty strong.

·
Registered
11,189 Posts
Maybe keep an apron on your buck even though he lives separately?

Is she still eating and drinking well?

I'd recommend switching the side she is laying on several times per day as well as cycling and stretching her legs. She is going to have a very difficult time delivering having been immobile. The kids will have a hard time getting into position.

17 is quite amazing. We would all love to see a photo of her if you are able to post one. Was she born on your farm?

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts
All really good advice.

If she is due really soon, then, everyone has given proper advice.
Sorry I thought she wasn’t due for a while. And got that wrong. Oops.

Hope she gets better soon.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts