The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, well I posted last month about a 4.5 year old goat that had never had a CDT vaccine before, and I wanted to make sure I had all the right supplies on hand in case he had an anaphylactic reaction. This thread https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/first-cdt-preparing-for-possible-anaphylactic-reaction.217843/

Well, I'm sure glad I did ask & prepare. We gave him the 2 cc CDT tonight while he was eating dinner. After about 7 minutes he started pawing a bit, became more agitated, then damn he went down, freaked me out totally. He was not having trouble breathing but kept getting up then going back down. So I assumed this was some sort of "not good" reaction but not necessarily anaphylactic. I decided to give him liquid Benadryl, got about 11 cc in him and in the process I could tell he was coming out of it on his own. Put the haybag in front of him, he started eating and he has been fine since.

Did I panic needlessly? I've only vaccinated a handful of goats over the last few years, and haven't had one do this, ever. Right now, I honestly don't want to give him the booster in a few weeks - I'm afraid he'll have a worse reaction...

Advice and hand holding welcomed!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Sounds like he was being a drama queen about the shot. You should see mine after ivermectin (it stings). They throw themselves to the ground, act like they can’t walk, it’s kinda ridiculous. I’ve not had one do that with CDT yet, but my one buck will turn himself inside out when you try to inject him.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
CD&T has been known to cause reaction. Since it happened 7 minutes after the injection. I would say he was reacting to it. I would be cautious giving a booster.

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback both. I've given ivermectin before and have seen how they behave to the sting of it, it was the going down from the CDT that was so unusual - and so long after the initial injection which he didn't even notice (I use 22g needles.)

I wonder if anyone has isolated the specific ingredient in CDT that causes reaction. i.e. is it the Tetanus , or the perfringens/overeating? Would be nice to be able to give just one of them, in my case at least the T.

I'm probably going to go with the cautious side here tho, I don't want to lose this guy.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I had a doe go down after her CDT and it was scary! However, I called my vet and he told me it’s most likely the “extra” ingredients not the CDT itself. She was in need of her second dose so I bought a different brand vaccine and kept an epi injection ready to go (as always) and gave it to her and she was fine. So every year I just avoid buying the guilty brand and give CDT’s to everyone with no problem. I do sill load up a syringe with epi to my fattest goats dose and have it ready to go if needed...I figure it’s easier to just squirt some out rather than load...it works for me anyway. Whenever I give injections I always have it ready though, I don’t want to loose a goat when I don’t have to.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is very interesting, thanks for sharing. I wish I had epi. I could probably take him to a vet that is about an hour away and have them do the shot and monitor him afterwards.

I'm also now wondering why goats have to have a tetanus vaccine annually, and humans only every 10 years :)

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
That is very interesting, thanks for sharing. I wish I had epi. I could probably take him to a vet that is about an hour away and have them do the shot and monitor him afterwards.

I'm also now wondering why goats have to have a tetanus vaccine annually, and humans only every 10 years :)
The tetanus for critters is a different vaccine, I asked the same thing. Maybe your vet would sell you a single dose to keep on hand. When I was building a relationship with my vet, he'd only sell single doses of meds, now that he knows I don't use The drugs unless necessary, he'll sell me bottles. It just took building trust between us.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, ok. And great idea on asking for the single dose of epi! Thanks! I'm new to this vet, only seen him twice for my yearling - all the ones nearer to me that see goats have retired.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Ah, ok. And great idea on asking for the single dose of epi! Thanks! I'm new to this vet, only seen him twice for my yearling - all the ones nearer to me that see goats have retired.
It can't hurt to ask. I hope he goes for it. Keep the epi refrigerated though so if it's an hour home take a small cooler or lunch pack with ice block.

·
8,157 Posts
The darn drug people are the ones that ruined it for us to be able to buy Ephedrine. They used to sell it as Epinephrine at Truck Stops to keep the truckers awake. (Mini thins). Now it takes an act of congress to get it, the vets and doctors are all monitored as to whom they prescribe it and why. Most don't want the liability, so wont let us have a full bottle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, it sucks but I understand the vet's situation. I did actually buy Primatene mist which is now available OTC again and has epinephrine in it -not sure how much good it would do trying to spray it in a goat's mouth during a bad reaction but I figured it was better than nothing. I didn't use it this time b/c he wasn't having trouble breathing, went with Benadryl first instead - don't know if that was a mistake or not.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
When my doe reacted to injectable iron..she didn't seem to have trouble breathing at first...she got very vocal and her eyes looked panicked..she started circling..im sure if I didn't have Epinephrine ready..she would have went down quickly. There are several signs of anaphylactic shock..goats may not present the all..I think you acted appropriately with Benadryl

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well that is interesting also, and good to know. When I wrote he got "agitated" - he was indeed circling like your doe did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts