1st Kid (surprise)

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by PsRumors, Feb 6, 2010.

1. PsRumors

PsRumors New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Cartersville, GA
    We were not expecting any kids until the 1st of March. This morning I go to check on everyone and find this little lady laying limp in the house. Mom was staying with her but couldn't do anything but watch.

I really figured she would be gone within a couple hours but she keeps going. Every 4 or 5 hours we can get her to take 1 - 1.5 ounces of milk. She has been very weak and limp up until about 9 tonight when she got some energy and tried to gain control of her body for two or three minutes. She has been sleeping since.

I am not sure if she is premature, sick or what but we'll be up with her all night. I did get a tube and have read on how to insert it but am quite leary of doing so. Hopefully she will keep getting stronger and all will be good.

[​IMG]

2. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

AWWWWWW shes soooooo cute! :love:

And are those wattles??? :drool: :drool: :drool:

3. PsRumors

PsRumors New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Cartersville, GA
    Thanks! And yes, those are her little wattles

4. TinyHoovesRanch

She is sooooooo beautiful!! I REALLY hope she makes it! She has already stolen my heart with those wattles lol

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Oh she has goat jewelry also. I hope she is able to pullout. Has she had the colostrum from mom? She has to have it to have even a chance. Even if you milk out mom to give it to you she HAS to have it but she has to have a body temp of 100 before you give her anything.

If you can give her a mixture of (Mix 2cc of whiskey any kind, 2cc of coffee strong and hot and 2cc of Karo syrup. Mix well and give her about 2cc to start, and another 2cc in a half hour.

Does she have teeth?

Good luck, I hope she makes it for you

6. PsRumors

PsRumors New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Cartersville, GA
    We milked mom and are using that, I should have clarified when I said milk. Her body temp is aound 98. I was unaware of the 100 requirement.

She barely has 1 tooth.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    yep sounds like she is trying to conserve energy - get that temp up and I believe you will see a huge difference in her :) Congrats - she is adorable.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like a preemie

try to get her temp up before giving her any more milk -- but with the 98 temp thats better then it being much lower.

You are fighting a battle here - she may not make it but at least you are doing what you can

I second the karo, whiskey coffee mixture -- it really does work wonders for kids and adults

9. TinyHoovesRanch

I will pray that the cutest goat ever makes it :pray:

10. PsRumors

PsRumors New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Cartersville, GA
    Thanks guys. We have her on a blanket on top of a heating pad and will give the mix a try.

How preemie? What's the way to tell? Surely she isn't nearly a month pre

I don't know if this will help to figure it out but her hooves are gooey.

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    also you can take ziplock bagies, fill them with hot water, put on each side of her, and then a towel over the top - it will help to keep the heat in and get her temp up. Also a hair dryer on low.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no teeth or eyelashes means preemie -- usually just days because she has hair so she isnt that preemie

gooey hooves are normal for any newborn

13. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Oh I hope that she makes it.... she is beautiful!

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. PsRumors

PsRumors New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Cartersville, GA
    Temp is up and she is awake. About 2:30 this morning she became a little ball of fire for about 15 minutes and ate 2 ounces of milk. 6:30 and she is back up wanting food and trying to stand. The poor girl can't get her legs under her. Her eyes look much stronger she can hold her head very well and cry oh boy what a cry.

I know we still have quite a ways to go but she appears alot better than she did yesterday.

How long before we should really good worried about the standing? We can't get her on a bottle but she will suck on the tip of a syringe pretty well.

16. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I only have wethers, so I am of no help.......But I just had to tell you, she is sooooooo cute! I so hope she makes it :pray: .....what a little sweetie! LOVE those wattles! :love:

17. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    She probably needs a shot of Bo-Se, if you don't have some you have to get it from your vet. Alternatively, I've heard you can give her some human selenium pills, and a vitamin E in her milk. But, if you can get the Bo-Se, I had great success with it last year. Very pretty kid, how's mom doing?

18. PsRumors

PsRumors New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Cartersville, GA
    Mom is doing well. She keeps looking for her kid but she is eating & drinking and will even go out with the herd some.

Ultimately we hope the little girl will continue to make leaps of progress and can be returned to her but I know the longer she is with us and the more we help her eat the less likely that is to be.

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    agreed

20. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio