The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered all the vaccines I could from Jeffers. I have 3wk and 4 wks old kids.
Does anyone have advise on giving the shots all at once, or breaking them up over a few days. Plus the both have diarrhea, seem purfectly happy, but maybe the transition from moms milk to replacement milk, as I just got them 1wk ago

·
TKC Farms
2,478 Posts
I like to keep VetRx on hand for newborns 2 drops in each nostril 3-4 times a day for 2 days. Iodine 7-10% for dipping naval cords and a roll of dental floss for tying cord off at about two inches and cutting the rest off and dipping cord in an old small medicine bottle filled with iodine.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
What vaccines are you trying to give?

I would get a fecal for worms and cocci right away. Seeings how they have scouring and at the right age for it.

Milk replacers are not good for kids either and is hard on their tummies.

How is their inner lower eyelid coloring, white, pale pink or dark red?

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
They don't need any vaccinations at 3 and 4 weeks old but the cause of diarrhea definitely should be addressed. The stress of being separated from their dam at 3 weeks of age likely triggered coccidia blooms. You can either get a fecal analysis via local veterinary office or mail in service. That will tell you off coccidia is the issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They don't need any vaccinations at 3 and 4 weeks old but the cause of diarrhea definitely should be addressed. The stress of being separated from their dam at 3 weeks of age likely triggered coccidia blooms. You can either get a fecal analysis via local veterinary office or mail in service. That will tell you off coccidia is the issue.
Fecal test is getting done tomorrow. But diarehha is clearing up.. Thankfully

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
i would break them up over a few days. Maybe do 2, one day, skip about 2 weeks and give 2 more.
I would get a fecal first though:)(thumbup)
Oh, and by the way, Welcome to TGS!:cow:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I would get a fecal for worms and cocci right away. Seeings how they have scouring and at the right age for it.

Cd&t and the one for mouth soars and phenomena. Fecal test is going out tomorrow and poop has finally gone away

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I will have to look at eyes.. I didnt think of that

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I am not 100% sure or not, but i would guess you are newer to goats, so I would guess you did not know there is a "special" way to check goats eyelids! It is called FAMACHA scoring!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I was giving them probiotics to help tummies with the transition of diet.. The 3wk old was mostly already kicked off moms milk but the 4wk kid was still mostly on mom's milk. Seller said he was already seeing both nibble on hay and grain, and they free range during the day.. But our weather is horibbly cold, so in 7 days I could only get them outside for 3 days to graze... Also started electrolyte so diarehha doeant drain them.. I have corid on hand, just incase

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not 100% sure or not, but i would guess you are newer to goats, so I would guess you did not know there is a "special" way to check goats eyelids! It is called FAMACHA scoring!
I am one week new to owning goats.. My husbend surprised me with these, and I'm trying not to screw this up... I work at a veterinarian hospital and many of our vets have goats. But I feel bad always asking for advise. And I've been givin soooooooo much advise, that my head is spinning.. From types of hey, to minerals, to grains.. Now I'm looking at vaccinations and supplements.. I wish there was just one right answer, but I'm noticing its all by preferance

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track. Getting the fecal is wise.
Let us know what the results are.

I start vaccinating, when they are 2 months old, so by 21 to 28 days, when they get their booster shot, that would put them at weaning age, which will make them ready to go for their new homes. ;)

I do the CD&T

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like you are on the right track. Getting the fecal is wise.
Let us know what the results are.

I start vaccinating, when they are 2 months old, so by 21 to 28 days, when they get their booster shot, that would put them at weaning age, which will make them ready to go for their new homes. ;)

I do the CD&T
I am their new home. I just got them last week.
Eyes inner lid is a medium pink.
Fecal tests were sent today.
And of course, the 4wks old boy now has Harding little round balls for poop.
And the 3wks old girl has a soft stool, but not runny as they both where when I did this transition from mama milk to milk replacer... I did start them on electrolytes yesterday added to their milk... But they also got some grazing time in yesterday for half the day till weather shifted again.
Thank u for the info on the shots, as I dont know if the breeder gave shots to mom prior to birth

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle of the day helps their tummies! You are doing great as a first time goat mamma!
I love that idea.. Someone told me to do a probiotic paste for tummy tradition, and honestly, thats when the diareaha started, so I stopped and added electrolytes, and now diareaha is going away.. But baking sofa, seems it would be so much better as a tummy settler!!!! Love it.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
I love that idea.. Someone told me to do a probiotic paste for tummy tradition, and honestly, thats when the diareaha started, so I stopped and added electrolytes, and now diareaha is going away.. But baking sofa, seems it would be so much better as a tummy settler!!!! Love it.
Probiotic paste will not cause diarrhea.

I would suggest starting with the CDT (at 2 months old), and of course the booster - and wait on the other vaccines. I recommend spacing vaccines out anyway during heavy growth periods - so the CDT, and then a couple months later give more if you need to give any others.

But most other vaccinations besides CDT aren't always necessary. For pneumonia, that's more a personal choice based on how your herd's health is. And what was the other vaccine you mentioned?

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
The sore mouth scratch. This is different because it doesn't prevent the disease but actually, gives it to them when and where you want them to have it.
If you have never had goats on your property and they didn't have an outbreak of it from the stress of moving there's a good chance they aren't carrying it.
If you decide to do it anyway they are about the right age for it. You want to scratch them in an out of the way spot, inside of front leg, inside of hock, or front of breastbone are common places. Wear gloves while dripping on the living disease, you can give it too yourself too.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
The sore mouth scratch. This is different because it doesn't prevent the disease but actually, gives it to them when and where you want them to have it.
If you have never had goats on your property and they didn't have an outbreak of it from the stress of moving there's a good chance they aren't carrying it.
If you decide to do it anyway they are about the right age for it. You want to scratch them in an out of the way spot, inside of front leg, inside of hock, or front of breastbone are common places. Wear gloves while dripping on the living disease, you can give it too yourself too.
Not trying to disagree with you, goathiker

But I would NOT recommend a live vaccine for something that they may not ever have to the OP.

I'd stick with CDT, and maybe pneumonia after owning them for a while and evaluating their immune systems.

Just my opinion!!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
OP already bought the vaccine
I don't see anything in my post that recommend it. OP should know how to use it properly though, especially since it's sitting right there.
No that's why I said I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was just adding on to your already good info

1 - 20 of 35 Posts