1st time mom rejecting babies HELP

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by snyder1973, Mar 5, 2011.

1. snyder1973

snyder1973 Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Lorimor, Ia
    I found the triplets wide awake and active this morning. Cupid keeps butting them and she doesn't want them nursing. She keeps butting them. What do I do?

2. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I don't have any experience with butting them away, but I have a doe that isn't totally accepting one of her twins.

Sounds like you need to try tying her up and holding her leg and making her nurse. Try this every so often, and be positive with her, praise her if she stands, and see if that works? It might take a day or two? Some were born with the instinct, and others just aren't IMO, so you need to show her what she needs to be doing. I really hope it works out, but stay on top of her and get those kids nursing so hopefully that instinct builds :)

3. snyder1973

snyder1973 Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Lorimor, Ia
    we tried holding her this morning but she throws her rear end around so that you can't get a kid on her.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I totally agree there, you need to tie her up put her on a stand if you have one, and let those babies nurse. Yes you might have to hold her leg so she does not kick the babies away. How old are the babies? I assume you do not know if they have nursed at all? They need to get that colostrum. Sometimes when they nurse a bit and get the soreness down from the utter being so full they are fine, or once they nurse hand smell like her. But be ready to have to bottle feed just incase.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Then put her against the wall so shehas no where to go.

I have been dealing with my first case of Mastitus and I had to do that, I just put her against the wall so she could not get away, and I did what I had to do. Just have her agains the wall, stand yourself so you have more control, and lean over and hold a back leg.

6. snyder1973

snyder1973 Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Lorimor, Ia
    babies were born 3 pm yesterday. Can't keep her still by myself till hubby comes home this afternoon. In the mean time I panicked and ran to the farm store and have bottle fed all of them. They didn't seem like they understand how to suckle, but they are catching on slowly. how often do I make her nurse them? Ok holding against the wall seems like something I can do by myself. Oh gosh is she going to be mad. She doesn't even want in the house with them she stands outside and cries.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Tie up her back leg as well...the one on the side ...you will be working from..... high enough... to where... she can't kick or thrash around..... that way you can do this on your own....whenever she acts up....smack her on the belly open hand and tell her to quit....