The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in north georgia on 5 acres. Im fencing in about 2.5 acres.half of it is heavily shaded woode area . Just wondering what breeds are the easiest for a 1st timer! Im sure i will be buying only females at first,have several breeds here at goat farms and ofcourse they all say these are what ya need lol.should i start off with just 2? What is the avg monthly cost of owning a single? Although i will have atleast 2 that are already friends. Do i need shelter/barn since i have so much shade?

·
Registered
308 Posts
You will need a shelter just because they need a place to get out of weather. Most breeds are easy. Just depends on the purpose. You wouldnt want a fiber breed if you dont want to have to shave them, dont get a doe in milk if you arent ready to commit to milking her daily.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I recommend getting a good book on raising goats, or else stalk this forum a lot to learn! ;) taking care of goats is fairly easy, but there is a lot to know; I'm always learning something new on here, lol.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
First you should decide what you want them for. Then you can decide on the breed. Then you can decide if you want to have babies or not ect ect ect.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
any breed will be easy as long as you buy from a good reputable breeder. Especially one who tests for disease like CAE, CL and Johnes. Yes you need at least a 3 sided shelter facing away from the north east.

·
Registered
448 Posts
LOL 20 odd years ago I started off with 1 very lonely Angora wether then we ended up with his whole family :eek: As I had no interest in their fleece,just wanted pets I became very keen to have Dairy goats and thought we could use the milk and later joined Dairy Goat Society of Aus. breeding Toggenburgs :) Im now hooked on showing and breeding and have learnt you can never have to many goats :D teejae

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First you should decide what you want them for. Then you can decide on the breed. Then you can decide if you want to have babies or not ect ect ect.
They will be clearing land and and become part of the family along with my wife ,lil doxie dashhound, and 2 cats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts