2-3 day old Kids watery/ crusty eyes ???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Jenna, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    My 2 day old kids have watery eyes. When I dry them they appear pretty normal , maybe slightly red. My 3 day old kid as one crusty eye that is red, and her brother does not. what should I do ?? The crusty eye, is it a infection such as pink eye?? Oh, they are with there mother and nursing and acting normal otherwise, they are housed on clean straw that does seem to be dusty. :shrug:

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If they are "running" and crusted over then I would say a treatment of terramycin eye ointment should be used. If they are just crusty, keep them cleaned with a warm wet cloth, they should clear up in no time. The dusty bedding is likely the reason behind this.

3. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Oh, I meant to say not NOT dusty :oops:

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Is the eyelid swollen at all like it is swollen shut? It could be an entropian, that is very common in kids that young. do not put antibiotic ointment in it. You can flush it out with eye drops but in the mean time contact your vet or an experienced goat breeder and the kids will need an injection of penicillin in the eyelid or eyeclips put in the lid.

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    you dont always have to do that with entropion, goathappy. Often it is sufficient to get tissue - like kitchen towel roll - and with your finger wipe it from one side to the other, under the affected eyelid, so that the eyelid turns right-side-out again, making sure to dry off all of the eyelid. Often it stays out that way without having to do any further treatments - especially if caught early enough. Sometimes it has to be done more than once, and only after trying that a few times would I go to the extent of the penicillin injection (tried it once and it all spurted out the other side) or the eye clips (did that too)
    LW