The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short:
Yesterday he was fine, eating normally moving well ect. Last night he began stumbling around, I thought it was because my buck was messing with him (trying to push him around and stuff, so I put the buck in "time out".) Then my wether went back to being normal. This morning we wake up, he's sluggish, clumsy, stumbling, BUT EATING AND DRINKING (not as much as normal.) So we put him in a pen and gave him one chewable baby aspirin with some hay (We thought he was stumbling around because he might be trying to get arthritis in his front legs, those are the ones he is favoring.) He walked around in the pen, laid down slept for about an hour, drank, laid down again, walked around, ate some, this was his routine for the whole 5 hours he was in the pen. We give him another baby aspirin (His knees looked swollen) and instead of running to the feed trough like he normally does he slowly walks to the dirt spot we have in our pasture and he lays down, for the past few hours he has remained there, standing up, laying down, standing up, laying down, ect.

My obvious fear is, he's gonna die for one, my second fear is he is going to get dehydrated. I tried to take some water to him but he didn't want any. It's like he's lost his ability to walk along with his appetite and this is a goat who eats like the packman.

PS He is using the restroom, but since we let him out of the pen he has not eaten of drank anything that my mom or I have seen. And he's grinding his teeth... What does this mean? What can I do for him?! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
59,221 Posts
Do you have whitetail deer in your area? If you do, Meningeal Worm is a possibility.

Polio and Listeriosis come to mind.

I would be getting Thiamine and Penicillin in him right away.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
First off...baby aspirin is too low a dose to help at all.

Get his temp, should be between 100-103 *F
The sudden stumbling and general way he is acting tells me that you need to get Thiamine into him ASAP.....Polio comes to my mind here.

Check his hooves for any reason to cause him to want to lay.

IF you have Fortified B Complex, you will need to inject very high doses to get the high amount of thiamine in his system that is needed to cure polio.
10-15 CC every 6 hours.
If you can get Thiamine from your vet, the dose is much lower

Listeria as Karen said has similar symptoms to polio... dosing Pen G at a rate of 1cc per 10 lbs along with the thiamine every six hours for 24 hours.

Meningeal worm will cause hind quarter weakness/paralysis....VERY HIGH DOSES of oral Safeguard is treatment for MW

·
14,615 Posts
Liz & Karen are probably right on.
Also, if he's not drinking he's going to need electrolytes.
At the very least get water down him with the largest sryinge you have, at least a pint or so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Umh I haven't seen any kind of deer in this area, the only deer that I have seen are some exotics that some people 3 miles up the road had and the last time I seen them was about 3 months ago.

You don't think it could just be like a common tummyache do you? And like maybe he's coming down with arthritis?

·
14,615 Posts
What's this fella's age?
M worm symtoms show up in the rear; he will be wobbly. As Liz has said.
This really does sound like polio or listerosis. Both are similar & treated the same way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Baby, is his name he was one of my show goats in high school, where can I get this medicine at? And what do I do if I don't know how much he weighs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok one more question and this is a really random question, how do you administer the Thiamine? Is it a shot, pill, liquid that I put in a syringe?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Something HUGE has happened... Y'all know how I said he has been in that same spot for 6-7 hours? WELL HE WALKED ACROSS THE YARD TO JOIN THE OTHER GOATS! Now he is near the water and now he is near the food so what I want to know is are with still with the Polio and Listeriosis diagnosis?

And about the three medications y'all said I needed, do I need to give them to him all at the same time, different times throughout the day, or what?

PS I am so sorry if I am getting on anyone's nerves, but I have never ever had a sick goat before with the exception of constipation and a tummyache. And the goat that is sick happens to be my Baby. I thank y'all for your help and anymore help that you may continue to give me... :)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Grinding teeth is a pain issue. Swollen knees could be a CAE issue or maybe even a copper deficiency. When you say using the bathroom, you mean both pee and poo? How does his pee look? Solid stream or does it come out in spurts? Temp? Snotty nose or raspy breathing?

·
Registered
31,023 Posts
grinding teeth is gut pain, if he has been laying down all day his rumen will be upset...its good he is up and moving, have you seen him chewing a cud?
Unsteady gate could be Polio or listeriosis..both have many of the same symtoms so treating for both is wise, thiamine or FORTIFIED B complex is needed and Large doses of Pen..here is a link that give the doses.. http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.htmlyes,
could also be his legs hurt..watch him careful to see if he is walking like hes tender or actually staggering like a drunk man..star gazing or acting loopy in any way..as discribed in the link..
Swollen kness could mean CAE but not always. Could be regular old arthritis or an injury...a blood test will let you know.
Banamine will help him with the swelling and pain...its from a vet..
keep him hydrated..here is a recipe he may like..
Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or mollasses you have on hand or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I say using the bathroom I mean using the bathroom normally, in normal amounts.. I went by the vet's office today and he gave me some shots to give to him, it seems as if it made him more alert. After giving him the shots he took a long nap (5-6 hours) and then he became more mobile. Now we have him pened up and he is drinking water like crazy, the vet gave him a huge dose of vit B, is it normal for him to drink A TON of water? I mean I'm happy he's drinking, but he's still not eating.
What do I do if he has not been chewing his cud? And how do I get him to stop grinding his teeth!? That bothers me, I just really wanna help my Baby.

·
Registered
31,023 Posts
SOunds like gut issue!! If you dont have or cant get C D Antitoxin use Milk of magnsia...it will bind the toxins causing his gut pain...15 cc per 60#...let him drink everything he wants..offer hay and green leaves but no feed until he is chewing a cud..he wont be able to digest it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the first round was vit. B complex, and a mixture of stuff that was yellow and it looked like mustard... I went back today after talking to him on the phone and I am still worried about him, he gave him something mixed in with the vit b and I can't spell it but it started with a D and I wanna say it was something along the lines of dextrose; after he heard the way that we were talking about the way he was not eating and the way he was not using the bathroom he was beginning to wonder if he wasn't starting to have a kidney stone form and the medications are breaking the stone down. Whatever the doctor is doing, he's doing something right, tonight my Baby was up, walking, talking, and eating a little bit of hay.

·
Super Moderator
59,221 Posts
What type of hay do you have? A wether's whole diet needs to be balanced at least 2:1 calcium to phosphorus. Giving him ammonium chloride a couple times a week wouldn't hurt either.

Glad he is doing better.

·
Registered
31,023 Posts
Im glad he is doing better as well : )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts