The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here in the Southeast, we've been battling barberpole worms all year, mostly with the kids and does. However, now our bucks are in trouble. 3 Bucks had scours last weekend, so we dosed with Cydectin orally and some probios. 1/3 cleared up and seems fine now.

The other two (1.5 years old), it just made them worse. Rough coats, not eatting or drinking much if anything, pure liquid diarrhea. It's been like this for 5 days and we can not get the scours to clear.

None have a temp

To treat their condition, which is probably anemic at this point, we've been giving red cell, daily shots of B-complex, some probois, and an electrolyte drench. We've also tried some pepto.

They don't seem improved and we're guessing that when we hit them with the cydectin, it flushed the worms out of their system and it's difficult for them to recover.

Any thoughts on what to do next? We've never had scours this long.

Both bucks just stand around, look dazed and don't do much except shoot liquid out of them!

Peeing is fine.

We're assuming Barberpole since we've had confirmed problems with that this year. Is there a chance this is Cocci maybe instead? I thought the boys might be too old, but now i'm not so sure!

Help, as always, would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Adults can get cocci and there seems to be a lot of cases this year. Normally I would say get a fecal done but you may want to go ahead and treat.

Also, if your chemical wormers aren't working, you may want to look into herbal. I would suggest Fir Meadow herbs.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Make sure they are utd on their copper requirements. I believe good copper levels help reduce worm populations. I agree with Karen, adults can get cocci and I almost lost an adult doe to it. It won't hurt them to treat. I use Baycox, but, don't wait for it...go ahead and treat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We got our baycox in a couple of weeks ago. Going to give them 5cc orally as that seems to be the common recommendation. I had been debating that anyways.

Oh, and i forgot to mention, we just copper bolused them right before this happened, so they should be in good shape on that. All the bucks got 4 grams i believe.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Baycox is 1 cc per 5#...make sure to dose the correct amount....
I would also be giving C D Antitoxin...any time a goat has watery poop..it means the rumen is off....when the rumen is off toxins will begin to build in the gut...this can finish off a goat quickly...oral wormer kills the worms fast, worms dies and become toxic in the gut if they cant flush them out quick enough, CDAnti. helps with this..also a heavy load can cause bleed out...
keeping them hydrated, no feed,,hay and green leaves only until you see berries...daily Probios is needed to help restore flora
keep up the red cell daily for a week then once a week until recovered
I would switch wormers to Ivomec Plus..1 cc per 40# sub q....if they are heavy loaded..

best wishes

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well crud. I dosed everyone with 5 CC of baycox this morning. I'm betting they are closer to 35-40 lbs. Maybe 50. What dosage of anti-toxin do you recommend and how often? We have some onhand.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
used to be 1 cc per 5# but they have new dose info...here it is : although I still think every 6 hours for day one then every 12 after that

New dosing information Directly from Colorado Serum:

No need to give this every 6 hours- the recommended dosing for goats is as follows:
kids under 6lbs give them 3ccs injected SQ every 12hours
kids 6-15lbs give them 5ccs injected SQ every 12 hours.
kids 15-20lbs: give them 10ccs injected SQ every 12 hours.
For adults- 80lb goat will get 20ccs injected SQ every 12 hours
CD Anti toxin is NOT the CDT toxoid vaccine and even if the baby has had the CDT vaccine this does not negate the need for the anti toxin. Use for baby goats who act hungry and refuse to eat even after an enema. This is also used for adult goats with enterotoxemia. CD Anti toxin has but one purpose, to rid the body of toxins in the gut, what it not used by the goat will be eliminated through the urine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sadly, he may not make it through the night. We took him in to the vet first thing this morning, he was extremely weak and laying down alot, not eatting. Vet ran a fecal. Had barberpole and some cocci. Pretty high worm count. The Cydectin we used had not effect, the cocci was still a bit high even with the baycox.

He got some oral ivermec plus, corrid for the cocci, B-complex, and a couple other meds to ease his stomach.

It's extremely disheartening that the Cydectin was near useless. It was dosed correctly.

The other goat is doing much better and his poop are starting to get more solid, he's at least active and eatting.

Really hoping we can nurse the other guy back and he makes it, if not, it'll be devastating....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in Tennessee, just outside of Nashville. Great weather for summer. Worst weather possible for worms. Rain, and lots of it, not very hot temps, and more and more rain.

I've never looked forward to winter so much in my life.

We've never lost a goat, hoping this isn't a first time.....

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
I had a feeling you were in the south....I have not had to really deal with anything myself except cocci in young goats...but I drylot and their lot gets cleaned every other day, and the goat shed gets cleaned weekly with more hay added twice a week to keep it dry.We feed mostly hay, very limited browse to the girls....cause I am paranoid about bad flavored milk ;)

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
I would get Fir Meadow GI Soother and DWorm A and try herbals. You will need to give him the herbals frequently for probably a week.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
awe poor guy...I hope he recovers for you...its hard when you do all you can and can only wait to see..
be sure to check for anemia and treat accordenly...
I would continue the cd antitoxin until he is up and going...
Thiamine or Fortified B complex is important when usng corid..especially in his weak state..
keep him hydrated
best wishes

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,087 Posts
I would get Fir Meadow GI Soother and DWorm A and try herbals. You will need to give him the herbals frequently for probably a week.
I second this. She ships fast. For high worm counts you can give every hour. I would also suggest the group totally natural goats, on facebook, which will give you more herbal advice.

Chemicals are great tools, but worms cannot grow resistant to herbs. Fir Meadow just cleared one of my boys of scours, and I'm seeing great improvement in the other.

Best of luck. I know how horribly stressful it is. :hug:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts