The Goat Spot Forum banner

2 day old doeling with rapid breathing

772 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Stephenie 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2 day old doeling with breathing that is more rapid than her brothers. Her brother is significantly larger than her and doing well. She has seemed to have more rapid breathing than him since the start. She is up and eating, but seems to tire faster than him. We really do not have any goat vets closer than an hour from where I am. I did contact one and the vet tech that has goats said to give any sort of B-vitamin shot that I had and LA-200 and hope for the best. I do have B-complex and Bio-mycin 200. The doeling weighs about 5 lbs, I will definitely weigh before I give shots. I have read that the Bio-mycin should be dosed at 1cc/20lbs. So 1/4 cc would be her dosage? I also have a Vitamin B complex with probiotic gel that is given orally. Would that work as well as the vitamin B shot? I am usually very good with doctoring but I am used to horses and they are quite different from goats. I am just super nervous about treating such a tiny girl and want to try to give her a shot.
I did just lose a 5 1/2 week old buckling to what the vet considered pleural pneumonia. He did have some other things going on with him too, enlarged thalamus and the left side of his heart was the same thickness as the right side. I lost him as we were headed to the vet. So I know that I may just be being paranoid but figured that it wouldn't hurt to ask for advice.

#2 ·
1/4 cc would be a correct dosage. But before you give it...Does she have a temp? I wouldn't feel comfortable starting her on antibiotics unless she actually has an infection.

The rapid breathing and the fact that she tires quickly may possibly point to pneumonia, but it could also be other things. Not getting enough milk/colostrum, low body temp, or possibly an enlarged heart. Is she nursing well? Has she gained any weight?

#3 ·
I agree with Groovy. First, take her temperature.

Does she have any gunk in her eyes or nose? Is her breathing just more frequent or is it raspy and/or wheezy at all?

B Complex oral is not a replacement for the injectable. You can get injectable fortified b complex, and THAT can be given to her orally because she is so young, but not a gel. Better than nothing, but if you can the injection that’s the one you want.

#4 ·
Thank you both for responding. I ran to town to grab her some injectable vitamins and when I got home she had passed. I could see the doe laying really close to her in the camera and she does look like the doe laid on her. I am not sure if she had passed before the doe laid on her or if it was an accident. Again, thank you both for your responses, I really do appreciate it.

#10 ·
Yes, Goats Rock, the father is the same and both does were out of my old buck. I did take her in for necropsy and her lungs looked fine. All they could find was that her thymus was enlarged and there her blood protein was 4.6. We are sending some tissues in for evaluation.
On a good note, so far her brother is doing great, although he is getting tired of my over analyzing everything to do with him but he is being a champ about it. I will post what I find out from the test results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.