The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our first kid born on Tuesday, a little doeling! Mama goat did great and the kid was up on her feet and nursing quickly.

It's Thursday now and we've been in a heat wave for over a week. I noticed our little doeling, Moxie, panting this afternoon.

It continued for a little bit so I brought her and her mama to a shady spot outside where there was more of a breeze than in the stall. I tried to get her to nurse but she would try for a moment and then she would stop or the doe would move. Eventually I hand milked our doe and syringed 5-10ml to the doeling.

After reading up about it, I also stood Moxie in a shallow pool of water for a minute to help her cool off. After this, and with temps starting to drop for the evening, she perked right up and was bouncing all over the place like baby goats should!

My question is how concerned should I be about not seeing her nurse? How often should I see her nursing and for how long at a time?

I know she was finding it hard to nurse when she was overheating and panting but I want to make sure our doe is letting her get enough milk.

They are Nigerian Dwarf Goats. Doe is 2 and had one buckling last year. She is a very attentive mother in general, I'm just a bit concerned about the nursing situation.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might be a good idea to milk and bottle feed her to make sure she's getting enough! sounds like she nursed good for the colostrum!
Yeah, I watched her after birth to make sure she started nursing. I would assume that if she hadn't been getting enough in the last two days she would be much more lethargic? Other than this afternoon when the heat got to her she's been super friendly and energetic. Luckily today was supposed to be the last day of the heat wave.

I'm going to go spend some more time watching them this evening and see if I can see her nursing

Thanks for your suggestions!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE - Thursday night

I just spent about an hour and a half watching them and encouraging Moxie to nurse on Tallulah. Throughout that time she did try to nurse maybe four times on her own and about half of the time she just got distracted by a fly or something and would stop and the other half after a few seconds Tallulah would turn around and start licking and fussing over Moxie. She seems to do this a lot, licking and gently nibbling her baby, she never kicks at her or anything to get her to stop nursing. Although I didn't see Moxie have a big drink within that time frame she was active and doesn't seem malnourished at all. She isn't sunken behind her ribs or anything.

They are both curled up and resting now for the night.

Also, every time after Moxie pees, Tellulah will lick and clean her up and then present the flehmen response...I was curious if that's normal?

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,086 Posts
Newborns eat small amounts, a suck or two, frequently. At that age, they have trouble with regulating their body temperatures. With the heat wave, it wouldn't hurt to keep a check on the babes temperature. A black coat color absorbs heat and it's possible she over heated while in the sunshine.. Letting the doe and kid out into a shaded area was a good decision. Is there shade inside their enclosure they can get under? As ksalvagno suggested above, keep a watch on her weight to make sure she is steadily gaining. Waiting for the appearance of looking sunk in, especially a newborn, might lead to a situation of a very weak kid. Good job, getting the babe cooled down earlier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts