2 day old kid won't nurse? Tube feeding tips?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Escapegoat, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Escapegoat

Escapegoat Member

Dec 24, 2014
    He was a bit weak on day one but seemed to nurse a little bit at a time, yesterday crying and constipated, so I gave enemas twice and he pooped both times. Perked up a bit but just played with the dam's teat and would not suckle :( I tried to get him on a bottle but he'd suck a second then stop and pant like crazy for minutes. I listened to his lungs sounds fine, he doesn't jump around just stands still, temp was low yesterday but put lamp over him it's back up today. So after watching every video I could on it I attempted tube feeding, seemed to go well but he cried a good bit :( and second time I tried milk came UP the tube before I could begin, I didn't see anything about that online now I am worried :(
    So, anyone dealt with anything like this??! Any tube feeding pointers? My first problem kid I wish he would just latch on a bottle :'(

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Does he mouth breathe?

3. Escapegoat

Escapegoat Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Only right after attempting to nurse or bottlefeed. Otherwise seems normal.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you are afraid of tube feeding, you can feed by syringe(no needle).

I had one kid who was a bit sub not bad, 100.5, he stood in one spot hunched is 3 weeks old, no scouring, he was getting weaker. I put a heat lamp on for him for a while monitored his temp, gave SQ inj of fortified vit B complex , then, fed a couple of 12 cc syringe fulls of milk, made sure his temp was up more it was 101, when I fed him.
    Make sure it is 100 degree's at minimum.
    Make sure they can swallow first.

I then gave him:
    2 cc's baking soda, added water to it, drenched it.
    2 cc's thiamine
    2 to 3 cc's fortified vit B complex
    2 cc's penG
    All orally.

I also gave probiotics and Nutradrench, later in the evening each day.

I made sure he was fed by syringe throughout the day and went out 1 x at night to get him 2 to 4 syringe fulls of milk.
    The second day he was starting a small interest in trying to get the teat himself but wasn't fighting with gusto, by that evening, he began to thrive and nurse a bit more on his own. I gave all I listed for 3 days 1 x a day.
    Do know, they hate the taste and gag horribly, give it one by one very slowly with breaks, as they fight it pretty good.
    Just something to consider.

5. Escapegoat

Escapegoat Member

Dec 24, 2014
    That's some great information thank you! A lot to work with. Hopefully something will perk him up, I'll keep on him, the more I mess with him the more attached I get

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You are so welcome. :)

Getting attached is easy, you are right. ;)

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California