The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! We had a little doeling born Sunday afternoon, and this morning I noticed she had a small amount of clear drainage coming from her right eye. Now, this afternoon, that same eye is mattered and reddened, and slightly swollen. I called the vet's office, but he is out at the moment and will be leaving for a week tomorrow, but the receptionist/tech I spoke with said she'd call him and see what he thought. Considering it's 4:30 pm here, and it would take at least a 1/2 hour to get to the vet's office to pick anything up, I'm wondering what I should do for the time being. I've used fresh breastmilk in kittens' eyes before with great success; should I try some of momma's fresh milk? Is there an antibiotic ointment available OTC? I have not tried rinsing out the eye yet to see if there is anything in it.
Also, when should kids be wormed/vaccinated? Anyone used herbal wormers or raising their kids organically?
Thank you!! (sorry for the wordy post!)

UPDATE: Just heard back from vet's office, and they said use any triple antibiotic ointment as long as it doesn't have hydrocortisone in it (even Neosporin will work). Thoughts?

·
14,615 Posts
Go for it. What you do is put human eye drops in the eye first, then the treatment.
If you have PenG you can put a few drops directly into the eye without needle of course.
Continue a few days past when the eye looks clear.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
check to make sure there are no eyelashes curled up under - I had this happen with a kid born this year and it took a bit of lubricating the eye with contact lens cleaner per the vets instructions and it was easy to roll back out where it belonged.

as to the triple antibiotic - yes thats safe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts