The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued three Nigerian Pygmy goats about a month ago and the girl (leia) was covered indexes and had a bad case of coccidiosis. I treated her for this and everything is going great! But now the little wether is showing similar signs. My vet gave me enough meds to clear it up for all of them. Can I treat him with it without bothering for a vet for confirmation? Will it hurt him to just treat for it? And my vet says that coccidiosis is caused by dirty surroundings. The barn is claened once a day! Could something else be causing it? Also, he loooves to eat. Can he over eat? By nighttime he gets rounder but then by morning he is fine again. Should I be worried about bloat?

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I think it would be wise to trest both goats who didnt get treated...some dont show symptoms right away....so yes..treat you buck and the other goat who hasnt been treated yet ....
as for it being do to dirty grounds...we rake weekly and the goats follow me pooping everywhere lol..we clean out stalls and keep the water dishes and feeders clean...Cocci happens..stress opens the door...and moving them to your place is stress.... a good thing lol..but still stress...treating them for cocci and daily B complex will help build them up while they settle in...
If your buck is bloated..the left side will be hard and tight and ina bad case raised up...is he acting uncomfortable? I have sister lamanchas that by days end they both look like they swallowed a watermelon..lol..I used to treat with baking soda ..but in time I realized that was just them..if you feel he is bloated you can dose him with 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon baking soda in enough water to drench ...message his left side

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boy is actually a wether. About 3 1/2 months old.(wasn't sure if that made a difference) Okay I will start treating for cocci! I checked for bloat earlier and If you stand at just the right angle. He looks the tiniest bit bloated, but if not he looks, like you said, like he ate a watermelon. Has always looked like it. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort though. Will I have to worry about cocci in the future if I treat them all now? Or at least not much?

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
The coccidia is in the ground. Doesn't matter how clean you are. Since they are young, you may end up treating again.

I agree to go ahead and treat.

I bet your little guy isn't bloated if he is thin again in the morning and showing no signs of discomfort

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Started another Forum, should of just added it to this...oops! He isn't bloated this morning, but he has a bad case of scours this morning. Should I wait and see if it's just him cleaning himself out? Or should I be treating for something else? Should I let the scours go or try and stop it?

·
558 Posts
When my little one had cocci it took a good 7 days before her poo was back to normal. I gave pepto and electrolytes twice a day to stop the scours and keep her hydrated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!

Okay great! Thanks! I will try that! I feel a little bit better now! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts