The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all! I think I may have posted something similar years ago about some kunekune pigs that I was thinking about adopting, but I don't remember what responses I got

My neighbor has 4 4-H show piglets that they bought. 3 are brothers, 1 they bought last weekend (for some reason). The pigs are getting bigger, they're fighting (the new one is unrelated and uncut), and they keep escaping

They are considering getting rid of the new one, and they wanted to see if I wanted a new pet! I would need to make sure that the pig could be free-roamed, like my goats, as we have no room for a pigpen. So, first off, how are pigs with that?

Second, how are pigs and goats together? Can I get a pig with 2 goats? And how about chickens, cats, and horses? We have those too

Any informatiuon, questions, or feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
34,555 Posts
I agree, I wouldnt run pigs with goats especially if area is limited, and definitely not intaked.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I’d cut him for sure. Male pigs are highly sex driven and can hurt a goat.
I’m not sure how a single pig would do on his own…
I did raise 4 Kune Kune pigs 2 years ago. They were free ranged. I saw 3 coyotes honing in on the smallest one who was a little separated and the pigs all scared them off which was kind of cool to see.
When my goats kidded that spring, the pigs were drawn to the smell and my LGD had to chase them off.
Also, just a few nights after I’d brought them home, my dad did chores for me while I was gone. We were still shutting the goats in at night at that time, and the pigs had been hiding in the pen. Later I went down to feed the dog, and I heard a ruckus. I chased the pigs out.. the next morning I saw a cpl of the yearling wethers had their front legs chewed up a little bit. (This was before there were any babies around).
For the most part the pigs stayed together. They came in in the evening for their grain. They would eat the cow dogs food if I didn’t get them grain first to keep them busy…
Hopefully that helps. Lol

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Any pigs are a little iffy. My female pot belly sleeps in the goat pen. But her pen is seperated and she gets locked in first. Gizmo doesn't like her at all. She also free roams and is trained like a dog. She is very protective of hr chickens and does protect her property. She is food aggressive. As much as she is trained she has nipped my shin and drawn blood. their teeth are very sharp. And blood is a HUGE no no around a pig. Being omnivorous they will eat you alive if you are bleeding. Bone and all. Pigs are very strong animals. Goats and pigs in one enclosure has been done but it can turn ugly. Pigs are ferral even if hand reared.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts