2 goats dead from barber pole worm - Now taking action

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I have 2 bucklings in a 15 x 20 dirt lot in the barn, and let them out to graze regularly. One day, I noticed Archie was off, so i looked at FAMACHA (which was good), gave some b complex, and took temp. I wasn't that worried about it. The next morning, I went out, he had watery scours, and was still off. Gave him some probios, and kept him hydrated. More b complex.
    Looked at his FAMACHA yesterday, and it was almost white! I took him to the vet, and he got a fecal... Barber pole worm.(headsmash)
    We treated him with Ivermectin, and I plan to treat again in 10 days. Harrison is completely fine, but i decided to deworm him too since he is always with Archie, and I will do him again in 10 days along with Archie. Archie has perked up, still has scours, and I plan to go to the store to get some scour halt and red blood cell for him. I got a fecal done on the rest of my goats, and they are clean.
    I will also separate Harrison after Saint leaves tomorrow, and leave Archie in the lot until he gets better. then I will let the lot rest for about a month.
    I bleached their feed trough, their hay feeder, cleaned out their pen,Te bleached the shovels, rake, and wheel barrel, and put lime down (not sure if that kills them, but i dont know what else to put down:shrug:)
    If there is anything I am missing, please tell me!

*Also, when do i start Cocci prevention for baby goats with toltrazuril, and what is the dosage?*

Thank yall,
    ~Nigerian Dwarf Goat~

GoofyGoat likes this.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

1cc per 5 lbs on the tort.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Is it just one dose for prevention, or multile doses? Is there a certain age it needs to start? Mine are 15 days today.:cowboy:

4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    They are probably picking it up in the pasture rather than the indoor dirt pen as I suspect they aren't really eating anything off the dirt pen floor inside the barn? I wouldnt feel the need to rest the pen, just the pasture where they were grazing close to the ground and pooping recently.

5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    It has been rainy for the last few days, and he has been in there and pooping in there. :poop:
    I actually think he got the worms in the dirt lot, because sometimes they will eat some hay "spillage?" (idk, i cant think of another word for it lol(rofl)) off of the ground. That pasture they are grazing in was fenced in just for them and has never been grazed before, when the dirt lot has been used multiple times, but i am not for sure:shrug:

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  6. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I'm in the same boat here... I had wormed everyone with valbazen 3 weeks ago then we had 12 straight days of rain and when I checked FAMACHAS yesterday they were all 3-4s so I wormed everyone with cydectin today :( in 10 days they're getting it again...I also gave everyone a dose of redcell and this weekend it'll be more copper.
    I've never had this happen this drastically and quickly before....

7. HungryFox

HungryFox Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2020
    New England
    I think this is what's going on with several goats here.
    Still working on balancing their copper, makes them extra susceptible.
    I'm going to send official fecals out even though everyone got 3 doses of Ivermectin in February for suspected mange. (Time for a different wormer I suppose.)

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Barberpole can cause a goat to go south fast...pink famacha today..pale white tomorrow. Good catch. For anemia need to do the red cell, B 12, 50/50 acv/water high protein feed and browse type foods.

I start coccidia prevention between 10 days to 3 weeks old. (With all this wet humid weather I will be starting at 10 days old.) Toltrazuril is once then booster in 10 days if treating and every time there is a stressor such as heavy storms, banding, new home. I think Last year I ended up boostering 4 times total.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  9. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    It's scary how quick they changed. I have a cobalt block out as well...I talked to my vet and she said to use Marquis for coccidia because tolt's prices are ridiculous on racehorsemeds right now. Now I wish I had ordered some when I got my dex and banamine before Kidding.
    I hope it works well for you.

10. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Do you have to purchase the Marquis directly from your vet? What is the dosing for goats?

11. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=704fda78-5d4b-4131-926e-9e9def9802a9
    Check out the price, and backordered! Like every other coccidia treatment right now. I have no idea what I'm going to do.

(Sorry ... Post hijacking)

12. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Is it a paste, or a shot? Also, what is the dosage? :)

I can add some calf manna to his feed and i can give him some leaves from the oak tree that is starting to come back.

So do I! The boys also get sweetlix and cargill onyx with it! PLUS a redmond salt lick!
    This weather is just bad! On top of the 4 inches of rain, we have horrible humidity, and dew on the ground every morning! (headsmash) AND, it is supposed to rain on saturday

It really is. I hope this doesnt affect any of my other goats...
    :ty:

I hate when my goats feel bad, it makes me feel bad too :(
    If any of yall didn't know, Archie and Harrison are actually from Happy Bleats farm! I love my boys so much!

13. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    dont worry about it! It is interesting to me actually, my local feed store has CoRid and it is the same price it has always been...
    I ordered the toltrazuril a while back when I had to treat a few babies with cocci.

Moers kiko boars and Nigerian123 like this.
  14. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    OMG! I just looked at that link! That is crazy expensive!:eek:
    I would be giving my goats LOTS of Garlic, and would order the deworming herbs, if i couldn't get any for regular price!

15. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Yes, I normally get Marquis from my vet but my sister gave me some tubes when she moved and I talked to my vet and she said to use them. They were for her horses..you might want to talk to horse people though it's like $200 a tube.
    The dose Is 0.6cc per 10 lbs

Holy cow...I just looked at that link...that's crazy!

16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    B12 is RX and injected. (1 ccper 25 pounds sub q) There is also b complex PlUS with more 12 in it if you cant get B12. 4-5 cc per 100 pounds.
    A little calf manna wont hurt..and yes..leaves are great.

17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I cant believe how expensive the toltrazuril and Marquis are....this is crazy!! I have some toltrazuril left from last season but prefer a fresh bottle. Will use what I have plus herbs and ess. Oils and in a pinch I do have Dimethox too.

18. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
  19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    WOW..tolt has gone up again!!! was 80 bucks last week! there is no way.