The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I could use some help here, treading in new waters. With out going into details I have acquired 2 goats today, other option was they going to be euthanized, the county barely has the resources to care for animals that there is a high probability that they will be adopted, let alone livestock.
As far as I can tell they are anemic, with scours and very thin. Not being an expert I was guessing it is a result of worm overload, a fecal confirmed.

Understanding while Ideally I would take them to the vet right now $2 to $3 hundred dollars is not in the budget animals that are not part of our herd. I know that may come off as harsh but I am just being honest. Right now I believe I may be able to save them with a little care.

In our supplies we have Ivermectin, Safeguard, Valbazan, A Gallon of Red Cell, probiotic, both in a paste and tablets, copper Bolus, Duvet 911, bounce back, and other first aid supplies.

Right my wife and son set up a small pen near the house with round pen panels, they are about 500 feet from the entrance to our pasture, and I have a hand washing station set up there as well. With them being weak I thought it best to restrict their movement.

Right now I plan on giving them Valbazan as I know there is no possibility they are pregnant.
would you follow with with a clear wormer? Or give multiple doses over the course of a week? I feel like I should hold off giving them Ivermectin from what I have read it may kill the worms off too quickly?

I am also wondering if it is ok to give them Red Cell and either bounce back or the 911 at the same time?

Any other suggestions that anyone can offer would be appreciated as I have not had to deal with this level of worm load before, I do not want to over do it but by the same time I think I can give them a chance at life.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Ok so I could use some help here, treading in new waters. With out going into details I have acquired 2 goats today, other option was they going to be euthanized, the county barely has the resources to care for animals that there is a high probability that they will be adopted, let alone livestock.
As far as I can tell they are anemic, with scours and very thin. Not being an expert I was guessing it is a result of worm overload, a fecal confirmed.

Understanding while Ideally I would take them to the vet right now $2 to $3 hundred dollars is not in the budget animals that are not part of our herd. I know that may come off as harsh but I am just being honest. Right now I believe I may be able to save them with a little care.

In our supplies we have Ivermectin, Safeguard, Valbazan, A Gallon of Red Cell, probiotic, both in a paste and tablets, copper Bolus, Duvet 911, bounce back, and other first aid supplies.

Right my wife and son set up a small pen near the house with round pen panels, they are about 500 feet from the entrance to our pasture, and I have a hand washing station set up there as well. With them being weak I thought it best to restrict their movement.

Right now I plan on giving them Valbazan as I know there is no possibility they are pregnant.
would you follow with with a clear wormer? Or give multiple doses over the course of a week? I feel like I should hold off giving them Ivermectin from what I have read it may kill the worms off too quickly?

I am also wondering if it is ok to give them Red Cell and either bounce back or the 911 at the same time?

Any other suggestions that anyone can offer would be appreciated as I have not had to deal with this level of worm load before, I do not want to over do it but by the same time I think I can give them a chance at life.
Good for you for giving them a chance ... what kind of worms did the fecal confirm?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Like you said.. start with valbezen, since you have it. Hopefully someone else chimes in soon with some more experience... I've not used it I use ivermectin but ya since their already anemic it could make it worse. Shouldn't hurt to give red cell at the same time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd give them the red cell if their FAMACHA is bad. I'd give them probiotics daily for at least a week. I'd give them a fortified B Complex shot. I'd do Valbazen again in 10 days.

Yes their eyelids are white, when I have had to give probiotics in the past I have ground up the tablets and given it to them mixed with yogurt. Or would you stick with paste? Also do you think it would help to give them some bounce back?

thank you

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,656 Posts
Ha! I was just about to answer this thread. 😄

From what I understand ivermectin would be fine to give instead of the valbazen, but valbazen is fine too. It's a common misconception that ivermectin kills worms too quickly.

Definitely do Redcell. Doseage for that is: 6 cc's per 100 lbs orally, 1 x a day for one week, monitor the inner lower eyelid color daily. If still too anemic after that time, continue 1 x week, until Famacha chart coloring is border line safe, stop, at that time. (taken from TGS Medicine cabinet) and Priobiotic paste and Vitamin B complex like Ksalvagno said.

Powdered electrolytes in the water would be a good idea and getting them on some alfalfa and a high protein feed (slowly introduced of course) would be a good idea if that is feasible. Garlic is a helpful addition, being good for their immune system and battles BP worms.

It's awesome that you've taken on these two goats!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

From what I understand ivermectin would be fine to give instead of the valbazen, but valbazen is fine too. It's a common misconception that ivermectin kills worms too quickly.

Definitely do Redcell. Doseage for that is: 6 cc's per 100 lbs orally, 1 x a day for one week, monitor the inner lower eyelid color daily. If still too anemic after that time, continue 1 x week, until Famacha chart coloring is border line safe, stop, at that time. (taken from TGS Medicine cabinet) and Priobiotic paste and Vitamin B complex like Ksalvagno said.

Powdered electrolytes in the water would be a good idea and getting them on some alfalfa and a high protein feed (slowly introduced of course) would be a good idea if that is feasible. Garlic is a helpful addition, being good for their immune system and battles BP worms.

Well contrary to the beliefs of many right now, we are not all jerks, there are some of us that that have compassion and try to make a difference when we can. I just had a hard time letting them be put down with out trying to help.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thank you

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,206 Posts
Ive dealt with BP worms. What is their excrement like? Is their any swelling in the jaw line, upper throat area? Ive dosed with Horse wormer Quest+. Then given probios. 4 squirts of Nutri Drench and Dark beer in one syringe to drench. The other syringe I drenched with 1 TBS of Dyne. I gave red cell at the above reccomendation, Dailey. At noon I gave another TBSP of Dyne. In the evening i reapeated the 2 syringes I did in the A.m. As the diarrhea ended, I reduced the amount of Nutridrench to 2 squirts in the syringe mixture. On day 10, I weighed the goat and dosed with safeguard.
After 15days I would do another fecal to see where they are in the worm load.Depending on the worm Count, is what would determine any further meds. I add electrolytes to the water. Ive also given Thiamine injection per body weight. to help with recovery of anemia. Good luck to you. Thankyou for caring for these poor goats.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive dealt with BP worms. What is their excrement like? Is their any swelling in the jaw line, upper throat area? Ive dosed with Horse wormer Quest+. Then given probios. 4 squirts of Nutri Drench and Dark beer in one syringe to drench. The other syringe I drenched with 1 TBS of Dyne. I gave red cell at the above reccomendation, Dailey. At noon I gave another TBSP of Dyne. In the evening i reapeated the 2 syringes I did in the A.m. As the diarrhea ended, I reduced the amount of Nutridrench to 2 squirts in the syringe mixture. On day 10, I weighed the goat and dosed with safeguard.
After 15days I would do another fecal to see where they are in the worm load.Depending on the worm Count, is what would determine any further meds. I add electrolytes to the water. Ive also given Thiamine injection per body weight. to help with recovery of anemia. Good luck to you. Thankyou for caring for these poor goats.
They have a paste like excrement, medium brown in color. I am not sure if there is any swelling since I do not have a base line for them, so I am not sure. We had some nutri drench that stuff is spendy. Funny thing is we went to TSC tonight and they had a big bottle of Nutri drench on clearance it was labeled for calves, but ingredients were nearly identical in ingredients and values as the stuff labeled sheep and goat so we picked it up it was like $9 for a quart.

We do not drink but I have some Dark beer from Aldi’s as I had to purchase a six pack to get a bottle to add to our homemade sauerkraut. what does the beer do for them? Guessing something with the hops or yeast?

Right now I am using a new sauce bottle from Walmart to give them the bounce back but I think I need to get some, food grade tubing as they seem to bite nozzle off .

thank you

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Thanks for giving these poor things a chance!
If you have pine trees nearby give them some branches to chew on. Pine is high in vitamin c and will help boost their immune system. Anemia is slow to bounce back from and requires a lot of vigilance to make sure there’s no relapse. Slow and steady will bring them back.

You can also put out a goat protein pail for them to nibble in addition to the high protein diet.
best of luck with them!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The yeast in the beer helps the Ruman. The fermentation allows for cud to be developed for rechewing.
Would I just need to open the bottle and let it stop fizzing? How much should I give them?

Also when I went out to give them their probiotics, red cell and nutri drench they were up and around and looking a bit better, so there is that.

thank you

1 - 20 of 51 Posts