2 herd queens...when to separate

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by stationhouse, Sep 4, 2015.

1. stationhouse

stationhouse New Member

Aug 14, 2015
    I am super new to goats. We bought a Nubian doe in milk with her 2 4 month-old nursing doelings. A friend on a nearby ranch asked if we could care for her pregnant mini-Nubian. (She has a swollen shoulder joint and needs a break from the miles of mountain roaming with her herd.)

Apparently Lucy (the Nubian) and Oreo (the mini-Nubian) were both queens. Oreo is horned, Lucy is not. And Oreo is now the queen. She is merciless to Lucy. She chases her and belly/udder butts her. I know that some aggression is normal for establishing the new hierarchy, but Lucy gets no break. Oreo is pretty good with the doelings (ignoring them most of the time.)

So how much aggression should be tolerated? Is it going to get worse before it gets better? Or should I just find a new home for Oreo?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Definitely separate them.

3. CritterCarnival

CritterCarnival Yes Dear Goat Farm

Sep 17, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    I would separate them and find a new home for Oreo, if she's using her horns maliciously she won't stop doing so.

4. stationhouse

stationhouse New Member

Aug 14, 2015
    I felt like separating them was the best answer and I'm so glad that I was on the right track. I know a lady who owns one of Oreo's kids and will take her in. I'm going to bring her over tomorrow. I just can't put up with it anymore.

So do you think Lucy will have enough company with just her 2 doelings or should i look for another goat?

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

She should be fine.