2 Issues....possible urinary stones & lack of browsing

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Robin Markham, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Robin Markham

Robin Markham New Member

Apr 19, 2020
    Michigan
    We have 3 Nigerians, all wethers, oldest born in January and the youngest 3/29. Middle and youngest were bottle fed, up to 4 months, as suggested on another thread. All 3 stayed in the house until the Michigan weather warmed up - a total of about 6 weeks. Moved to barn and big green pasture with nice wooded area at one end on 6/12. Their diet consists of free minerals, feed w/ ammonium chloride in it, Hay and lots of water.

They all eat, drink, poop and play, as expected.

1) On our walk yesterday, I noticed the middle one stopped multiple times to urinate in a short period of time. Sometimes a trickle and sometimes nothing. He would immediately go to his groin area urinating, or trying to. No other signs of distress. I had my husband pick him up so I could look - there were many little crystals, looked like coarse kosher salt, and the end of his penis. I cleared them all out. Today, he's doing the full stretch and urinating full streams. Nothing at the end of his penis. Can I assume these were urinary stones?? What can I do to get rid of them??

2) My goats won't browse and forage on their own. They will if we lead them to the woods or go on a walk but they rarely venture out on their own. Are they too attached to us?? Any suggestions??

Much thanks!!

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Start him on the treatment dosage of ammonium chloride in drench form mix with water or carrot juice (unless you have heavy calcium hard water), and stop all grain. What is your water source? What kind of hay?

3. Robin Markham

Robin Markham New Member

Apr 19, 2020
    Michigan
    We're on a well - softened water from the house. Possibly high in Iron but not sure of calcium content. We're feeding them coastal hay - we have alfalfa hay too, but we haven't been giving them that.
    I'm having a hard time locating ammonium chloride in a store near me. I only see it available on line. Is that going to be an issue if I can't get it delivered until Sunday or Monday?

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Yes it is an issue this is an urgent situation.

Tractor supply should have it.

Start by stopping all grain, grain without proper balance is not safe for wethers.

5. Robin Markham

Robin Markham New Member

Apr 19, 2020
    Michigan
    Okay - couldn't locate it on their website - heading out to look for some. Fingers crossed.

6. Robin Markham

Robin Markham New Member

Apr 19, 2020
    Michigan
    No luck - none at Tractor Supply or Family Farm & Home - quickest I can get online delivery is Tuesday. :ahh: I'll have to check surrounding area stores in the morning along with putting a call into the vet to see if he has a supply.

7. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
  8. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Fruit Fresh will work in a pinch, until you can get the Ammonium Chloride

Robin Markham likes this.
  9. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Oh yeah!! Forgot about that.

Here is the info @Robin Markham

https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/lesson-learned-always-keep-ammonium-chloride-near.197468/

[​IMG]

10. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Ammonium chloride is hard to find in stores. You can use fruit fresh in the canning isle. @ksalvagno cqn you give a dosage. I am beat tonight (was helpin kids put up new door and ran into wet wood problems... loooong day)and in the mornin i have an appt for an mri in a small tube ugh!

11. Robin Markham

Robin Markham New Member

Apr 19, 2020
    Michigan
    Thank you....thank you...thank you! I am so nervous waiting. I have completely struck out in the stores everywhere, called all in a 50 mile radius. Got some on expedited delivery (Shipping is 4X the product cost (doh) but he's worth it). Heading to find Fruit Fresh - I so appreciate this info.....helped to soothe a Momma's anxiousness!!

21goaties likes this.
  12. Robin Markham

Robin Markham New Member

Apr 19, 2020
    Michigan
    Okay - here's where I'm at:
    1. Lenny is peeing full stream this morning, appears pain-free and no biting at his penis afterwards - thank God! I feel like it's a game of Russian roulette.
    2. Spoke with Vet - of course he doesn't have any ammonium chloride. Did agree that it's harder to get in stores since they started adding it to feed. He's out of the area today and can't get me banamine but suggested baby aspirin to help reduce inflammation until we can get banamine.
    3. Will do warm compress and massaging of penis area as I saw in another thread.
    4. Got the Fresh Fruit... Bought organic 100% carrot juice for mixing it in (??)
    5. Ammonium Chloride is on order.

Sfgwife likes this.
  13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Sounds good.

No grain for him at all anymore.

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    You only use a small amount of ammonium chloride as a preventative, so your can that you get will last a long time! It stings if you get it in a cut on your hand!

toth boer goats likes this.
  16. Cjern46

Cjern46 New Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Jackson tn
    I found it on amazon

toth boer goats likes this.