The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2 month old baby goat that has started to stay in pasture at feeding time. This has happened in the last 4 feedings. I feed morning and evening. I had to run her a little this morning to catch her so I decided to check her temp. Temp was good at 102.7 f . She had some yellow poop coming out on her rear end I noticed. I listen to her lungs and she was breathing a little hard but I had just run her for about 7-8 minutes. It felt didn’t sound raspy . She weighs about 20-25 lbs so I gave her a b complex 3 ml shot and a dose of Toltrazuril because of the yellow stool. I didn’t get a stool sample as I was running late for work. This evening she still wouldn’t come in to pen to eat with the others. I caught and put her in Wiltcher the other. She ate a little bit not much. Ideas please.

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Super Moderator
58,203 Posts
At 2 months old, sometimes they aren't as interested in food since they are still nursing. Is she being bullied at all?

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
At 2 months old baby should not have yellow poop. She's a bit old for ecoli but still a possibility. Milk scours can be yellow.. how loose is her stool?

·
TKC Farms
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At 2 months old baby should not have yellow poop. She's a bit old for ecoli but still a possibility. Milk scours can be yellow.. how loose is her stool?
Kinda like mash potatoes.

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
Milk scours shouldn't cause immediate "off" behavior but bacterial infection can...It would not hurt to give a few days of scourhalt incase and keep close eye on changes and temp. She may need to be penned away from mom a bit to rest her tummy off milk.

Reactions: TCOLVIN

·
TKC Farms
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I have some scour halt. It may be over a year old. I’ll look in the morning. I did see her this evening trying yo nurse. Mom wasn’t to agreeable. In the morning I’ll catch her and pen her off for a day or so. I’ll look for scour halt and give her some.

Reactions: happybleats

·
TKC Farms
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s kept in the goat refrigerator. It still looks good. I gave her 3 squirts. That’s probably a table spoon. It that too much or too little?

·
TKC Farms
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At 2 months old, sometimes they aren't as interested in food since they are still nursing. Is she being bullied at all?
Yes, kinda, she is smaller than some of the other babies. Her temp this morning was 102.7 f. I gave scour halt this morning and penned her up with water and some alfalfa with a very little Timothy hay pellets. Should I give scour halt again this evening? I gave her 3 squirts, about a table spoon. Too much / too little?

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
See how her poop looks tonight but she may need a second dose just to be sure the issue is resolved. Follow up with 3 days probiotics to restore her flora. I usually don't squirts for kids. 3 should be ok.

·
TKC Farms
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
TKC Farms
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Something ate her feed. No other goat could get in there. I hope a rat didn’t, I keep rat poison out for them. Also her water bowel was about empty. I’m keeping her penned for tonight also. She hollows constantly. I let her see mom this evening at feeding and she tried to nurse but mom said no and walked off. Maybe she will be ok and I can send her back to pasture in the morning.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
TKC Farms
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gave her and a Buddy a dose this evening. 1/8 teaspoon of each of herbotics and GI smoother. I have 3 that are same age as the others but are half the size. What can I do to put weight on them? They weigh about 23-24 pounds and the other goats go around 30-35 pounds. All 16 where born Dec- 15th and 16th, 2020. What do I do to help them catch up? I will give another round to each in the morning and tomorrow evening.

·
TKC Farms
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tom, HerBiotic from Fir Meadow LLC and GI Soother can be combined to fight Ecoli if needed :)
I believe it's working. She came in this morning and this evening and ate some. I gave her the herb mix yesterday evening, this morning and tonight. I will give it again in the morning. How long do I need to keep it up? Thanks

·
TKC Farms
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A little calfmanna and a good 16% protein.
Slowly introduce it.
Also alfalfa that helps.
A little beet pulp can be given.
What would a good 16% protein be?
It will be this weekend before I'm at a tractor supply again. I guess I could feed the calf mama and beet pulp to all of them, right?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts