2 month old baby with the runs

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Feb 3, 2009.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok I have a 2 month old baby that was taken off the bottle a couple of days ago, and well when she was on the bottle she ate hay grain and everything just fine. I took her off of it and she threw a hissy fit and wouldent eat a thing....sooooooo I put her back on the bottle and now she has the runs, I mean green water poop. She has been wormed and treated for cocci. Is it just getting used to the bottle again. Is there a need for pepto or should I let it run its course??

2. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I personally would use pepto; sounds like digestive system problems - but would eliminate the milk - she's being a spoiled brat and will eat when she's hungry enough.

3. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    I had the same thing happen last year . I had weaned all the babies and all but 1 went to a new home. I could not leave this lil doe by herself so I put her back in with mom . It had been about 3 weeks and she went right back to the teat . She end up with the runs for a few days . I gave her a couple doses of pepto and some probios and she was fine in a day or so .
    Karen

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    green means diet related I do believe so yah I would remove the bottle and give pepto

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with everyone..... :greengrin: :thumbup:

6. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    isnt 2 months old a bit young to wean kids?

I dunno but... seems a bit young to me

7. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    I have Boer's I wean at 8 weeks . By that time the babies are so big and it seems that the mommas start to look worn out . When they have 2 bucks on them and the little ones punch moms bag they lift the poor momma off her feet .
    Karen

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I routinely wean bottle baby lambs and kids once they reach 10kg (provided they are eating hay) and that is usually around the 7 - 8 week mark. I have weaned a calf at 4 weeks.

My dam raised babies are weaned at 2 - 3 mths

Cut out the bottle, make the spoiled little girl eat her solid feed, give her some probiotics. She will be fine. Electrolytes if needed, too.

9. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    She was groing soo well and doing really good on her food. I wean on a eye basis, lol meaning if they are fat dumb happy and nice and big I wean them, if it is at 2 month or 3 months sometimes not till 4 months, it is a goat by goat evaluation lol. She is a little brat so I will stick her back in her pen with fresh alfalfa and grain and tell her to deal with it lol

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    I don't wean any doelings at only 2 months old. Mine do better if I wait until they are 3-4 months old. I do cut back on the milk at 2 months. The green poo is from quitting the milk and then going back on it. If this were my kid, I'd at least give one bottle a day along with hay and grain. I give kids probios for feed change runs.