2 new additions! *Pics added*

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Crissa, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Well my boyfriend has now gotten me two rabbits. One is a Lionhead NZW Giant cross buck, named Hershey, and the newest one is a silver colored Lionhead, not sure if it's a buck or doe yet though so doesn't have a name yet. (I'm really hoping it's a doe though) I will try and get pictures of them both ASAP, because they are both adorable! The silver one is weaned, but still quite young, so it looks like a puffball with a face! lol

And now for the rest, I need as much information on keeping them as happy and healthy as possible! It's been a long time since I've had a rabbit. :? What kind of treats can I give them, etc?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: 2 new additions!

Wow....your BF sure knows the way to your heart! First the adorable little longears and now bunnies!

Bunnies like cereals...corn flakes, raisin bran etc....and of course fresh veggies and fruits, in moderation as certain ones like lettuce and celery can cause them to scour if given too much :wink:

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

lol CLONE your boyfriend.. i want one

4. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts

Can't wait to see pictures of your bunnies, how about one of your boyfriend holding the bunnies? Just kidding LOL, If I were you I'd keep my BF away from this list! ;)

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio

CONGRATS!!

6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Thanks all! He definitely is amazing that's for sure. :greengrin: It does get better though, his DAD bought me and my best friend cockatiels! One is a year old and mine is 3 or 4 months old. I feel quite spoiled. :wink:

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

lol...yes you are getting to be quite spoiled! :ROFL:

Cockatiels are very sweet birds, my mom had a breeding pair when I was young, very smart too...the male, Chippers, would whistle the theme to the Andy Griffith show!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

LOL....yep.... Crissa definitely caught... a good man..... :wink: :greengrin: Congrats :thumbup:

9. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio

Lol! Your BF's family knows the way to your heart!!!

10. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Well I got pictures finally. Sadly though today the little silver lionhead died. :tears: I don't know what happened, he was fine yesterday when I watered and fed him and he was dead today. :sigh:

Here's the pics.

The bunnies.
    Hershey.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the little silver one who died. :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cockatiel, I've named Vina. (Vina is a goddess of music)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    awe I am sorry about the bunny - he was cute

be careful about the cockatiel outside --- A friend did that for years then one day he got the idea to try to fly and they never saw him again. Mine is named Cloe and she is very sweet - we got her as a tiny baby less then 10 weeks old.

12. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Thanks Stacey. Right now the Cockatiel has one of the wings clipped so can't really fly far. And she's very tame. My friend and I are going to get them one of those leashes for birds soon as well to help. Mine is 3 months old. :)

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I thought she looked young.

Clip both wings but know that even with their wings clipped they can fly somewhat -- I have owned birds most of my life and seen some of the funniest things. Love getting them young because they get real attached to you.

And when you clip her wings only clip 2/3 of the wing so that when she folds them you cant tell that they are clipped - makes her look nicer :) so what you are clipping are just her flight feathers and not the whoel wing.