2 new goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dobe627, Dec 10, 2007.

1. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Yesterday I brought home my 2 new pygmies, a doeling and a wether. I guess in the past I was always lucky to bring home new goats that didn't care about change. Well these 2 are not like that. They have been screaming since they got here. They came from a good breeder, UTD on shots, worming etc. Given probios before they left their farm. The little girl "Faith" is so loving. But "McGraw" won't come near me. They are 8 weeks old. I keep going in the pen and sitting with them. She crawls all over me and just loves the attention. He just keeps running into the dog crate I sat in the pen. I know it will take time but any helpful hints to win him over? And I think she thinks she has me trained. Last night I found her ontop of the crate so I lifted her up and put her down. After going around the corner I realized she could get back down. But it seemed easier to stand there and bawl so I would come back. Oh, they were weaned but still in the herd so I am sure that is some of their loneliness. They can see and smell my other goats. I just dont' want them to get too stressed. How long does this usually last? Like I said none of my others ever acted like this. Thanks for any advice . Cathy

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Aww, those babies are missing their herd. They will cry until they feel comfortable and safe in their new home. Are they bottle babies or were they dam raised? If they are bottle babies, you could try a bottle to "comfort" them. Sounds like you are spending the time with them that they need to bond with you, if the bottle doesn't work try a few cheerios or or other treat that your other goats like. Their crying will stop, just give it a couple days.

3. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Thanks liz. Yes believe me I am spending alot of time with them. She is a real sweetie. I am hoping he comes around too. I know it takes time but right now he wants nothing to do with people. They were dam raised but the breeder said she spent time with them. I will try to include a pic of her I got when she was doing the dog crate game. I haven't gotten a pic of him yet. He did come out and sniff my boot when I was sitting up there. And he ate some hay in front of me. [​IMG]

4. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Congrats on the new babies! She is adorable! Do you have names for them yet? I'm sure that if you just keep doing what you've been doing he'll come around soon. And having a buddy who likes you should help, too.

5. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Thanks Emily. It won't be for lack of trying if he doesn't come around, haha. Yes they are named. I kind of have a theme for all my animals. All my rabbits names are somehow realted to the Baltimore Ravens. Horses are patriotic. And the goats got country music. So I named the girl Faith( for Faith Hill) her husband is Tim Mcgraw but I didn't want tim as a name so he is Mcgraw. She is a medium carmal and he is a dark grey agouti. Hubby is just laughing cuz its been a few years since I had a little one, he says I am worrying to much, whatever that means?