2 New/Old Additions, Dwarfs <3

Discussion in 'Goat Conformation' started by FoxRidge, Sep 15, 2020.

1. FoxRidge

FoxRidge Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    So both of these little girls were born here. Calypso was out of my doe Cavatina. Daisy was out of Rosie, a doe we babysat while the family was in Hawaii. I had sold Calypso to the gal who owned Daisy but recently they went through a hardship and had to disperse their herd and asked that I take the 2 little girls together back home here. I cannot shave them (its freezing almost at night now) and I know hair can hide or make things look wonky. This is also the first time they ever wore collars....they would have been wonderful Bass in another life lol. First up is Calypso, she is gorgeous in color, blue eyed and polled but how about her conformation? I wish she had more width for one thing, a leveler rump, and more length. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    Then this is Daisy. She is HUGE compared to my other doelings lol and some are older than her. Fast growing genes or something. She was really a fling while I was trying to get these pictures, screaming and flailing all over the place and never once was she relaxed in the pictures. I got these when a cat ran by and she was a little freaked out by him and stopped moving to watch but she is still bracing her legs against the collar :/. What I see with her is she is posty in the back making a high steep rump but she is a deep wide doeling! VERY STURDY!!I can't wait for Summer 2021 to shave her down and really get a good look. I don't think she has much brisket to speak of but its really hard to judge when she's leaning away from the collar. I tried tucking her legs back to a normal position and that usually got her jumping into my arms LOL

Attached Files:

3. NorthRidge Farms

NorthRidge Farms New Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Lewiston NY
    Calypso is absolutely gorgeous :inlove:
    I'm not the best at judging but these are my thoughts on Calypso.

Pros
    Strong chine
    very level topline
    Smoothly blended
    Rump isn't horribly steep and will only get more level as she gets older
    Decent depth
    Good rear leg angulation.
    strong brisket
    legs set squarely below shoulders
    has that natural uphill stance

Cons
    Her rump could be more level
    short neck
    Could use more body length
    Looks to be copper deficient.

4. NorthRidge Farms

NorthRidge Farms New Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Lewiston NY
    For Daisy

Pros
    Strong looking doe!
    Decent body length
    Great depth
    Good body capacity
    Decent brisket
    Great width

Cons
    Short neck
    Steep rump
    posty rear legs
    chine/topline definitely could be more level.
    fore legs could be set a little more back under her withers.

I definitely like Calypso's confirmation over Daisy's, both are very nice does!

FoxRidge likes this.
  5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Love Calypso.

Good brisket, good chine. Love her rear angulation of her legs.

I think rump and body capacity will improve with age.

The gal needs copper.

Daisy:

I like her body capacity. I don’t love her legs. Brisket is just okay.

Her chine is not very level. Rump is steep but at this age it’s hard to judge them.

FoxRidge likes this.
  6. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    They just came home last week, both received a copper bolus and a dose of selenium gel. Calypso is underweight! She is ribby and her brisket is all bone right now. I'm thinking a fecal might be beneficial just to be sure but shes lively her eye color is not terrible but could be dosed.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    NorthRidge Farms likes this.
  7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Fecal would be wise.

FoxRidge and NorthRidge Farms like this.
  8. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Both very pretty does!
    Calypso is very strong on her feet and legs with great brisket, body capacity and angulation. She is fairly strong over her top line, but she lacks length and stature. Her rump could be flatter as well. She also needs a better, tighter front end assembly, especially in the shoulders.

I prefer Daisy to calypso because she is a longer, more feminine doe overall with better stature, a more level rump and a tighter front end assembly. She still needs improvement in those areas though, especially length of neck. She could also use more levelness over the chine and rear leg angulation, but she has excellent body capacity and a good brisket. She does lack width in the front end, but has decent width of muzzle.
    Both does need more smoothness of blending throughout as well, but I like them. Daisy is such a lovely color too!