2 of my nanny goats had babies that are dead. what happened

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by speedy94c, Dec 19, 2010.

1. speedy94c

speedy94c New Member

May 31, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Went out of town and came back today and 2 of my nannies had babies, one with triplets that looked to be ok but were all 3 dead, 2 still in their sacks and the other out but was still dead. the other 2 were red looking and appeared to have the sack still on them but they did look really small like pre-mature.
    I havent changed anything feed wise adn havent wormed them latly so what is up with that? Anyone have any suggestions on what to do Or is that just something that happens?

Thanks in advance Steve

2. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Re: 2 of my nanny goats had babies that are dead. what happ

OH I am so sorry.....

3. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine

Feed and nutrition plays a good part. Have the does ever kidded? Its quite possible they had no idea what to do and didnt lick them etc. How long were you gone? Maybe the cleaned off baby didnt get fed.

Im sorry they didnt survive.

4. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

The kids can actually suffocate if they don't get out of that sack & get their airway cleared out.
    It's not always possible to be there for every kidding unfortunately :( It does seem odd that none of them survived. Would weather be a factor at all in your area?
    Did you have any idea of when the does were bred? Were they first time mothers?? Maybe they were just inexperienced.

5. speedy94c

speedy94c New Member

May 31, 2010
    Central Arkansas

The one that had triplets was 4 y/o and this is her 4 time to kid but 1st time here. They both were in the barn, the other is young should be her 2nd time but maybe 1st and 1st here for sure.
    I was only gone one day, I left fri night and got back sat night late.
    It was cold last couple nights, 24 last night.

Thanks for the reply,s

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Gosh, i'm so sorry for your losses. It might just have been that they had no idea what to do. Was there any added stress that could have happened that day?

If the kids don't get out of the sack quickly they will soffocate very easily. It sounds like she got to them to late and ended up just licking one of them clean and realized they were dead and then stopped. So it's likely all of them didn't get air quick enough and then the doe(s) were late to cleaning them and that's why they look a little clean. Some goats just don't do very good mothering, but added stress that day could have contributed as well as other things.

7. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Oh, I am so sorry! 5 kids lost, that is too many! How disheartening! :hug: I am not very experienced and don't know what could have caused this, except maybe toxoplasmosis? Are there any cats around? You might want to have a vet check them out.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

If they were fully formed and had hair as well as the 2 bottom teeth, they were full term. Did you have due dates or breed dates on your girls?

My guess would be that these were very fast deliveries, and by the time the mom's got to cleaning them they were already gone by suffocation. It's also possible that they were stillborn, the one that was cleaned off could have succumbed to the cold too.

I had my girls deliver so fast that after the first was born the second was right on top, the sacks usually break once the kids move, so I do think that if the sacs were intact on 4 of them, the kids may have already been gone before delivery. Stress, a hard hit from another goat or even as milkmaid mentioned, Toxoplasmosis can cause pre term births or still births. I am so very sorry for your loss :hug:
    You may want to milk the colostrum from your girls and freeze it so that you have it on hand should you need it...your girls will also be engorged and uncomfortable with those tight udders, check them daily to be sure they dry up if you don't plan to milk them.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I am so sorry for your losses...that is very sad.. :(
    I agree with the others...they all have great advice... :hug:

10. mcharvick

mcharvick New Member

Dec 4, 2012
    My goat had to have a fetotomy yesterday. Baby's head was turned and had to take her to the vet and he had to reach in and turn and assist in getting the baby out. Today she is sore and walking different, her back end area is very swollen and she is eating and drinking. I am so sad and feel bad for her, is there any reason to be alarmed her vagina area is so swollen. I do see the placenta in there, the vet gave her an oxytocin inj along with an antibiotic shot. Will the swelling go down or do I need to give her something for that. please help. The vet is closed till monday..

11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    mcharvick: It is normal for it to swell after an intrusion...I know is painful and only time will heal ...I have been told Perspiration H will help with swelling..Ive never tried it..Might ask your vet first... I would keep her from the herd for a while while she regains her strength..

12. sassykat6181

sassykat6181 Katrina

Nov 28, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Mcharvick- you need to start your own thread - no one will notice it here

13. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Are your does getting plenty loose minerals during pregnancy?

14. mcharvick

mcharvick New Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Thanks a lot. she is better today, still moving slow and I was able to clean her back end off with diluted iodine and she is eating and drinking. I do separate her form the others, I feel so bad for her. :(

15. mcharvick

mcharvick New Member

Dec 4, 2012
    How do you start ur own thread on here?

16. mcharvick

mcharvick New Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Im not sure how too. lol

17. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Are you using the phone app or the site on the computer?

18. mcharvick

mcharvick New Member

Dec 4, 2012
    off and on.. sometimes the phone and sometimes my desktop.