2 Pregnant does and 1 New goat owner HELP!

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Mxxrgxxn, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Mxxrgxxn

Mxxrgxxn Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Tennessee
    Back in September of 2019, we purchased 2 goats that were believed to have already been bred. Recently we have noticed how much their pregnancies have progressed and they are estimated to deliver very soon. My one doe is a lot smaller than the other one, so I have been thinking that she maybe only has a single. Yesterday I noticed a little bit of white/yellow discharge from her vulva, which has been swollen for a couple weeks now. Today, I went to check on her and the white/yellow discharge seems to not be there anymore? Unless i just maybe caught it at a time when it wasn’t coming out? Also, I noticed her stomach has dropped drastically and she is very hollowed around her hips. She in particular is driving me CRAZY, because yesterday when I checked her ligaments they appeared softer, but today they seem harder. Her udders also seem to be about half full just by looking at them. The lady that owned them before us said that they both didn’t fully bag up until the day that they kidded, so I’m assuming this must be normal for them both. From the day that we bought them, we have owned them for exactly 115 days, but the previous owner said she put them in the pens with bucks sometime in August. I know they technically could kid at anytime according to the timeline, but i’m just not sure when I should intensely start watching them or separating them or anything like that. They are showing signs, but also I’m still not fully convinced that they’re that close to labor yet. I’m new to the goat world and this is my first time experiencing the kidding process! I can’t wait for all the baby goats we are going to have! Any tips, opinions, or personal experiences that you have one this is greatly appreciated!! thanks!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Really hard to say. They do have discharge throughout the pregnancy. They do lose their plug.

MadHouse likes this.

3. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Ohhhh this is the fun..frustrating..exciting zany,,fast ..and intense days of owning goats. Just go out and get to know each doe. They all are a little different. Mine share a few labor signs. They all get very loving to me..walk up rub their heads on my legs. Stand next to me..want my attention..then each of them start hollaring at me. They are very vocal. Then I put them in the birthing barn. Mine are pawers of the ground and star gazers. Standing up. Pawing, laying down, over & over. But the final signs are laying on their sides, gazing off. Then grunting sounds as the start pushing.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. Mxxrgxxn

Mxxrgxxn Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Tennessee
    The one that I believe is further along has lately been a lot more lovey and wants attention, where in the past she’s been slightly skittish. I decided to put them in their birthing stalls tonight. I’m taking all precautions haha. I noticed the one doe was laying down when I went in, and then started to breathe heavier, enough to where it was easy to hear. Other than that, they seem the same. I guess I will just keep watching them and hope for progress haha

5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thats all you can do. ! Keep watching..keep checking..soon you will something goin on..

Mxxrgxxn and MadHouse like this.
  6. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Welcome to the Goat Spot! We've all been in your shoes :) it's a great place to distract you from the wait.

Oh no...not knowing a due date can make you crazy! All you can do is watch,wait and pull your hair out. Every little sign no matter how small will keep you on your toes...sleepless night checking every couple hours only to have them look at you like your nuts...
    Sounds like the does secret code of honor to me! Lol
    Just know it will happen and once you're holding the babies the wait will be forgotten.
    Just for fun...
    Here it is:
    https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/does-secret-code-of-honor-a-must-read-for-all-with-goats.102280/

7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    If you see lots of yawning, she isn't necessarily tired, that could be a sign of early labor. Some of mine, that is the only sign, they start yawning like crazy. I guess it must be pain or discomfort from the contractions. .

8. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    All kidding aside..some signs are: (I know...not punny) ;)
    Posty legs and her rump higher than her shoulders with her tail up then off to the side is another good sign she's getting close.
    Talking to her belly and pressing her head against things too.
    Big stretches with her front feet up on things means she's trying to get the babies into position.
    Not wanting to eat or just nibbles and walk away.
    Each doe is so different you could see all these signs or only one or two.
    Watch kidding videos on YouTube, they're really helpful. I like blue cactus dairy goats, crystal has a lot of different does filmed so you can see different behaviors.
    Happy Kidding!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Myst Farm

Myst Farm New Member

Jan 20, 2020
    Eastern Tennessee
    Following.
    Newbie to milk goats with 2 Mini-Nubian does due in March.