The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02737C93-2E61-4FFE-A040-8DDECB348A66.jpeg
Hi I have 2 twin nubi girls this morning ... they are almost 2 wks premature from a 1st freshener... she isnt paying attention to them but I think they were cleaned up by my LGDs last night. One can stand the other too small and weak still but both took moms colostrum from a bottle and are really eager to eat more and more. I know from experience overfeeding is very bad, but I have never even had goats this tiny tiny not over a pound or so. My question is how much and often should I feed girls this tiny at the start? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Are you absolutely dead sure about the due date?

If yes, I would beg your veterinarian for doses of dexamethasone and Draxxin for each of them. That's to progress the lung development. The first couple days, preemies are in a "honeymoon" period, then their undeveloped lungs begin to cause real issues.

Do you have Bo-Se, Selenium gel, or Replamin Plus on hand? I'd get some source of selenium into them as well. Keep encouraging the non-stander and helping her stand a few minutes every few hours. Also get rid of all moist hay at their level, you want a nearly sterile environment and no ammonia from urine for sure.

Feed them every 2 hours. Let them drink until their bellies become flush and firmer sticking out just to the back legs, but don't make them round. Get an accurate weight in ounces on both of them right away on a kitchen scale and start keeping tracking every 12-24 hours for the first few days of gains.

Even if the dam is not paying attention to them, as long as she is not aggressive to them, I would keep them penned together. They will be comforted having her there.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
** it sounds like they may have gone quite a few hours overnight without food, I'd probably let them have 2-4 ounces but watch the tummies. Anxiously await the meuconium poop as well to let you know the stomachs have begun working. Don't forget to iodine the umbilicals really really well.

·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got the little one standing also. I had draxxin for pink eye vet said good for pneumonia... he said 1 ml/ 110 sc... give it to them sc? Risk of od for goats this tiny?

also stronger one has the tar poop

i also gave the selenium vit E gel... they eat good gave 2 oz each 3 hrs ago then again now

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Wish I knew, you are right, they are so tiny and I do not know dosage or if it should be given.

Tar poo is normal super sticky, will happen for the first day or so.
This is called meconium poo and will usually pass in a day or two. Then turn milk color.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
I gave my 3lb premie Nutri Drench. Mom was good with him, so I dont know anything about bottle amounts. Their was a post on how much to.feed useing the weight of the kidd. Mine slept for 3 days before becoming very active. Good luck with your little ones. They are adorable

·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: we’re a day and a half old and doing real good. One girl is walking around strong. The other still needs help up but can stand for awhile take a few steps and always laying goat style with her head up. Both eating real good. Mom even is sniffing around them and licking them off too but shes tall and they are both too short to reach teats so we will be bottling it for awhile at least. Thanks as always for all the help we will see how they do!

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Update: we're a day and a half old and doing real good. One girl is walking around strong. The other still needs help up but can stand for awhile take a few steps and always laying goat style with her head up. Both eating real good. Mom even is sniffing around them and licking them off too but shes tall and they are both too short to reach teats so we will be bottling it for awhile at least. Thanks as always for all the help we will see how they do!
If you can hold them up to their dam to nurse at the intervals you are feeding they might go for the teat. Mom might even learn to squat more for them to nurse. ;). You might could jave one person push her rump down a bit to kinda teach her that she needs squat for them. Or try getting them on a short box to nurse for now. If you bottle them all the time it might be hard later to get them to nurse from the teat.... it might not also. You just never know. That is if you are not completely set on bottle babies. ;).

·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks so much ill try some of that. The truth is I allow the dam to raise them as a matter of course... even if i get less milk for a few mos BUT... the most important characteristic is LIVE kids... so if that means bottle feeding i dont care!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts