2 questions. 1 Precocious?, 2 Cystic?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hidden Waters Farm, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    To milk or not to milk.

I think my 5 yr old Nubian cross doe is Precocious, Her udder is very even so I dont think its mastitis but Im getting her tested. Her udder is about the same size of a doe who I am milking, so about a week ago I squeezed a stream of it out to see if it was colostrum because of possible pregnancy, but the "milk" is opaque and watery. her udder is pretty full and tight looking but everything I have read is telling me not to milk her out.

What should I do?

Also this same doe, I think she is having trouble getting bred or staying bred. She weighs about 200lbs but I think shes built that way. we bred her 3 cycles ago and today she got loose and broke into the buck pen, she was in standing heat when I found her with my 3 bucks all hovering around her, Wonderful. Is it possible shes cystic? I have heard about giving something like Lute to dissolve cysts, is that the way to go about it if thats correct?

Any help or information is greatly appreciated.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is her udder hot or lumpy feeling?

Have you tested her for mastitis?

How far along would she be if preggo?

Can you get pics of her bum and vulva area tail up?

Thick colostrum doesn't happen until ...she is close to kidding.... then it thickens.....early udder filling....you will see watery milk like milk...not the thick colostrum....

If there is a possibility of her being pregnant ...to be safe... I would recommend getting a pregnancy test done on her....so you will know whether or not to milk her out or not...... I wouldn't milk her at all...if she is close to kidding..... :(

But... you are also saying ....you are having trouble getting her pregnant.... :scratch: So having her tested for pregnancy... would be a good thing to do.... :hug:

3. Hidden Waters Farm

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    I didnt milk her out, I just squeezed 1 squirt from each to see what I was dealing with. Im quite sure if shes bred then she just took this recent breeding (and/or 5 day), which then I have to wait 30/35 days to test. I know its not the buck who is having issues breeding her as other does he has bred have settled before and during her episode. For the mastitis I was thinking about using Tomorrow, is that a good choice?

4. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    This post looks fairly old but I'm gonna reply to it anyhow with my 2 cents worth.
    How would you treat with Tomorrow without milking her out? That would be, in my mind both dangerous and ineffective. If she needs to be treated for mastitis, she needs to be milked out first. The objective being to remove as much bacteria as possible along with the milk. My goats are almost all precocious. If they get tight, regardless whether they are hot, painful or lumpy, I milk them out completely and treat with Today, a full syringe in the affected side or sides, once a day for three days. If they're pregnant, I'll milk them out again before kidding time to get the antibiotic out of the udder. I have had too many instances where chronic, tight precocious udders become terribly congested and low producing once the doe kids.
    It's extremely important to sanitize the teat and the syringe very well with POURED alcohol out of a bottle before infusing. Those little cheesy wipes they give you won't do the job. The risk of introducing bacteria into the udder is very real when infusing. Never put more than a quarter inch of the syringe tip into the teat. There's a break off point on the cap, use it.

5. Hidden Waters Farm

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    I've got one person saying milk her out and one not, so I'm not sure which to do. It does make sense to milk her out before infusing, Your correct with that. Ive never dealt with Mastitis, I did figure I would sooner or later but I had not chosen my method of treating yet.

6. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    If she needs treatment, she needs to be milked. If she's tight, she needs to be milked or she'll get congested. Not a huge problem if she's not pregnant, but I've had does who were badly congested from being precocious refuse to let their babies nurse because it hurts, mastitis or not. It's unlikely that a 5 year old doe would suddenly be precocious unless she's been precocious before, or never been bred. Is this her first breeding? If so, you have additional problems to read up on regarding a first freshening older doe.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    why do you think she is precocious? has she kidded before? How long has she had the udder for?

as to cystic - doesnt sound cystic to me, not every doe will settle on the first breeding, a need for a second breeding doesnt mean a doe is cystic. Constant and or inconsistant cycles and repetitive breedings with out settling is more of a sign of being cystic. One or two missed breedings I wouldnt be jumping to the cystic option.

8. Hidden Waters Farm

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    elchivito - Shes always had a small udder around this time except this year its larger then normal which is why I suspected Mastitis. She may have been bred previously, I got her from someone who had her with 2 bucklings. If she was bred then she aborted since she didnt have any kids.

I talked to 5-6 people before deciding to breed her at this age, most of the people said she should be fine but not to wait another year. Others said she should be fine but she will probably lack the instincts to care for the newborns. We dont mind bottle feeding so we were ok with that. Complications are possible with every birth and we have accepted that, if anyone doesnt then breeding animals isnt for them.

StaceyRoop - She has a small udder every year and she comes from heavy milk lines. On the farm she came from if the does dont milk enough the second year of freshening they are culled and She came from one of the farms best milkers. She has never kidded before, but she was possibly bred and aborted. This is the second year we tried to breed her with no results which is why I wondered if she was cystic. so you mean if they keep coming back in to heat all the time?

Im doubting that she will kid in 2011, I was hoping to have a kid from her because of her milking lineage but this is my last year to try.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With cystic does, as Stacey said...they will come into heat frequently, and if bred, they won't settle because the cyst doesn't rupture to release the egg, therefore, the repeated frequent heats. I would treat her for mastitis since you had her test positive. Follow the directions on the treatment package..if it says to empty the udder, do so. With cystic ovaries, the older a doe gets without being bred the more chance she has of forming a precosious udder...it's all hormones being out of whack.
    After the course of treatment for mastitis, you can see if a vet will sell you 2cc of Lutelys, it is a hormone that helps bring a doe into heat and also helps ovulation...be warned though, if she did settle with the breeding on the 5/6, she will resorb the pregnancy and may not come into standing heat for 3 weeks, if she didn't settle, the shot will benefit with her possibly settling for May kids.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  11. Hidden Waters Farm

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Ok great! I do know for a fact they she come in heat often as she busts into the buck pen to get bred and any other time she hates all other goats besides Clarice her pen mate.