2 questions. please help my goats!clear discharge w/ blood..

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Club-Mini, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    hello all!!
    please help!
    first goat....weaned her kids early january. purchased her and put her with my buck first of feb. took her out 3 days ago. just now, when i went to check on everyone...she had a discharge that was rather long coming out of her vagina. it was clear in color with a red vein-like stipe in the middle of it. after some help, i was told to put her with my buck to see if maybe she is in heat. i did. no interest from either party what so ever. i put her back into her pen....she coughed up twice. as she coughed, her butt was facing me, and as her muscles tensed due to the cough, tiny bloody liquid came out. her appetite is great!! can anyone tell me what is happeneing? is she having an abortion? an infection?? possibly bred before and that was her plug, even though the plug is white in color??
    pls help!!
    second goat...appetite is still ok. has very very snotty nose. one eye is slightly closed. i vaccinated about 2 weeks ago...i'm assuiming it was her first time. any words of wisdom on this one??
    what does snotty nose mean??
    thank you in advanced,
    nella

2. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I wish I could help on the forst, sorry no ideas. The second maybe allergies if her appitite is still good. Usually if pnemonia tehy will be pitiful. Have you taken her temp?

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    On the first one my doe had similer symptoms and she had an infection.All they did was tell me to give her pennicillan.

4. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    ok.
    goat #1 - temp 102.1
    ligaments gone. i can put my fingers around her tail. no udder. previous owners swear up and down that she was not bred. when i got her she had a huge udder from just weaning her kids.

goat #2 - temp 104
    just standing there. yellowish dried up discharge from nose. pneumonia? but i vaccinated her about 2 weeks for that...

any suggestions?
    thanks,
    nella

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Doe #1-I would see if I could get her into a vet and see if shes bred as well as try and find anything ealse that could be wrong.Are you SURE that she has no ligs?

Doe #2- possibly allergys

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no ligaments you say - interesting. I would be keeping a close watch. Can you vet check her for a possible infection?

As to doe number 2 - you can give her some vetrx in her nose and a couple ccs of nutri drench. Sounds like a possible cold or allergies.

To treat respitory infections I like to use LA 200 (or you can use Biomycin) as it works better then pen. - just an FYI just in case she develops something more.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It's possible she could be aborting... I had a girl who aborted on me and she had no udder. She never made one either. It was really weird. I am pretty sure she was head butted. I hope thats not what is happening to your girl.

8. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    hello everyone!
    thank you for all the help and advice.

i'm afraid goat no 2 isn't doing any better.
    her appetite is still good.
    she's on penicilin for 6 days now.
    gets vetrx drops daily
    gets nutri-drench every other day

she keeps her eyes almost closed the entire time.
    she's still got a snotty nose.
    she acts ok for the most part, except...visually theres somehting wrong
    i forced her eyes open earlier...and she's got some cloudiness on both eyes....is she going blind?
    do these sound like symptoms from some sort of disease?
    she's only 3 yrs old. and she seems healthy otherwise.

i'm lost. i don't know what else to do.
    any suggestions?
    thanks,
    nella

9. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    On doe #1, when was her last kidding? I know you said she just weaned when you got her so there IS a chance she went into heat and was bred by their buck (through a fence or whatever). If she could in theory be "due" this month, is she tame enough for you to do a bump test? Place one hand just in front of her udder and another more on her right side and push gently. If there is full term (or at least 2 months away from full term) you should feel them move.

I once had a doe do something similar to this and she had twin does, the first was stillborn and had no bag around it.

CJ

10. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    hey CJ,

yes, that was the first thing i had done since the first discharge was kinda mucousy, but no kids. she didn't have any problems with her prior pregnancies and had a huge udder every time. so i don't think she's due anytime, but i do think she was aborting.
    thanks anyway!!
    nella

11. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX

Hummmm, ok....brain buster now! How is she doing?

CJ

12. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    oh, she's fine. good. great. she didn't miss a wink.
    she's been her bossy hungry self the whole time.
    it was me that was freaking out. :)
    she's under a vets care. the vet seems to think that it was an infection, and not abortiion.
    but i guess we will all see in good time. she's got plenty of time to recoop. i don't think i will breed her for quite a few months....
    i would much rather have a goat that can't reporduce...than a pitiful painful one like the goat no 2.

take care,
    nella

13. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
  14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    nella did you give teh antibiotics to doe number 2? If her eyes are clouded she has some infection in them. LA 200 in the eye - squirt with syringe no needle - and give her a shot, 1cc per 20lbs.

Snotty nose is not always an alarm but with her eye issues sounds like a time to get her some attention. What color is her nasal discharge?

15. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    hey Stacey,

yes, like i stated above, she's on penicillin for 6 days now...with vetrx and nutri drench.

i will order the LA200 tonigh, and hopefully get it here asap.
    you said squit in her eyes and give her a shot.....of LA200 with both??

her discharge is whitish

thanks,
    nella

16. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    hey Stacey.
    wouldn't giving her the la200 be too much antibiotic?? since she's on penicillin?

i'm going to put somethign else in her eyes for tomorrow, and i'll see how it goes.
    its called neo-poly-bac
    i used it on an eye infection of a previous foal....i will see if it helps. i don't want to over do it on the biotics.
    thanks!!
    nella

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I read on Fias Co that you can't give Pen and LA 200 together: " When given together, the tetracycline causes a chemical reaction that stops the effectiveness of Penicillin."

I would finish off the Pen but if she seems like she is getting worse then I would call the vet again.

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The eyes being cloudy and matted make me think of pink eye, but thats contagious and doe#1 doesn't have it. The snotty nose being any color other than clear rings bells for me, upper respiratory infection maybe. Is she coughing at all? The penicillian, I would finish the doses and wait a few days to see of it helps. I would be giving her probiotics too or yogurt as there are some antibiotics that will disrupt the bacteria in the gut...not positive on which ones though.

Doe#1...you said she weaned her kids in January ? How old were they? To breed her back too soon after freshening is not good for her, she does need some recuperation time from delivering babies and making milk for them.

19. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    symptoms:
    crying. very watery eyes
    eyes sensitive to light
    whites around the eyes are now red
    eyes halfway closed at all times
    snotty nose but no coughing

has been in contact with most of the herd, and everyone shows NO symptoms.

thanks,
    nella

20. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    oh...and last day (7) on penicillin was today.