2 questions

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by morganslil1, Nov 15, 2007.

1. morganslil1

morganslil1 Guest

Nov 12, 2007
    I plan on doing CAE prevention and bottle feeding. I need to set up a pen for the kids I could put it right beside of my doe pen or out of site of my doe pen ...Which would y'all recommend?

One of my girls was a triplet how likely is it that she will have triplets in the future?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As far as the CAE prevention , I wouldn't know as I have never done it, The chance of your doe having multiples is good, my one doe was a triplet and she has had twins with each of her kiddings ..3 going on 4...due in February. This does mom was a twin and has had singles, twins and triplets.

3. morganslil1

morganslil1 Guest

Nov 12, 2007
    Liz I get so excited thinking about kidding time.

4. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    My kids are kept completely away from the does. I have a kidding "room". When I have a nubian doe (those are the ones I raise on cae prevention) due to kid they go in a kidding stall. The stall next to them are bedded down and a heat lamp turned on to warm up the straw. As soon as the kid hits the ground the nose and mouth are cleared and they are moved immediately to the other stall where the kid is cleaned. The dividers in the kidding stalls are solid walls. Once the doe passes the afterbirth she usually returns to the regular pen. The kids remain in the kidding stalls. My stalls are 6x4 with removable dividers. :D I love my nubian barn. After the kids are eating good and bouncing around and if I can I'll remove the dividers so they have more room to play. When its just kids in there I can remove both dividers and open the gates and they have free run of the 12x12 room. :D I did that with Hannah's kids since she was the last one to kid and they had a blast. Lol. Nubians will be the last to kid next year to.

5. morganslil1

morganslil1 Guest

Nov 12, 2007
    fcnubian It sounds like you have an awesome set up. :D

6. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Thanks! It is awesome and I love it! When Nica was due to kid I slept in the barn with her...(She is the problem kidder so I am never far away when she's due.) I have pictures of the barn...I'll try to dig them up and get them posted. :D My barn was a Christmas and Birthday present. :D

LMAO Christmas morning before I went out and done the chores my mom went out and taped bows all over the side of the barn. :lol:

7. morganslil1

morganslil1 Guest

Nov 12, 2007
    That would be great Id love to see pictures.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep, wether it's your first or if you've had lots before( I've had 3 does for the last 7 years and each time they kid I am so excited because I just never know what they'll have) This is THE place for answers to all kinds of questions! We even get excited for each other!! Right now I'm counting down for my reg. nigi, Binky as she's the first due....in between Jan6 and 23...2 breedings for her..just had to make me nuts, so she did! She had twin bucks her first time, Bootsie is next on 2-11, she had a single last time, then Tilly 2-29" leap year baby!!" had twin does last time...so I'm thinking I'll end up with 2 bucks and a doe from Boots twin bucks from Tilly and hoping twin does from Binky.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i try to be there when kids are born, but when you work fourty hours a week this isn;lt always possible. I do put my does in their own stall aorund kidding time, when i am there i let mom help me clean off the kids. Some people don;t do this becuase it forms a bond. But i want my does to know how to do it in case for some reason i am not there. I have seen too many does just up and leave their kids becuase they are so used to someone else doing it for them. at about an hour old the kids are taken from mom and put in a box in the house for 24 hours. this gives me a chance to make sure everything is out of their lungs they are warm and cozy and up and feeding froma bottle. mom also gets a day to herself to get herself back together before she goes back in the pen with the other does. I always try to breed two does at about the same time so i have two in the barn at kidding and if someone has a single kid that kid has a buddy. I hate it when my kids are alone. When they are about ten days old (or sooner depending on the weather) they go out to their own large pen adn shelter, next to the doe pen. This give them a chance to be goats and play outside. They have a large warm shelter. I start offering hay and grain at about two weeks old. The have a lamb bar set up in the pen at all times.
    They can sniff noses with the big girls through the fence.
    beth