The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have 2 nigerian dwarfs that are just under 4 months old. One doe and one wether, brother and sister. I got them while they were still on the bottle and weaned them over the first few weeks that they were here. They've bonded well with me but perhaps too well. The problem I am having is that every time I walk away from them in a situation where they can't follow (like if I have returned them to their fenced yard), they start yelling, and they'll yell and yell and yell until I return. Some days it will only go on for 10 minutes or so but others they'll just keep at it. I find myself sneaking around the yard once they're finally quiet in hopes that they won't notice me and start screaming again.
The woman that I originally purchased them from said hers did the same thing when they had only 2, and once they had 4, the goats were busy enough with one another that they didnt care anymore what the people were doing.
This seems to make sense in the current situation, their response to me leaving is the same response they have when one wanders off and can't find the other for a minute. As though I am the 3rd member of their herd and they are screaming for me to come back.
This does not seem food related, even when I do give some pellets in an attempt to quiet them, they'll eat for a minute and then go back to screaming before even finishing their pellets. I've for the most part stuck with feeding them only at the same 2 times every day and not during any of the multiple other times they see me, just to make sure that associating me with food is not part of the problem.
So I wondered what other peoples experiences might be, do you feel like adding a third or fourth goat into the mix may take their focus off of me? Has anyone had the same experience?

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
When adding just one, the other 2 tend to beat up on the single but it is certainly doable. If you could add 2, that would be better.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You could get one or two more and end up with 3 or 4 screaming goats. :) It is hard but you must ignore the goats when they cry and do not go outside for them. Eventually they'll learn. It may take awhile or not but it is a process you must go through.

·
376 Posts
I just weaned the bucklings off Lily as they needed to be separated from the girls. It seems like after the initial few days of screaming they finally accepted the fact that they couldn't nurse any longer *BUT* they now continue to scream because they just want to be with the herd ... or ME! I too find I am sneaking around trying not to be seen! I am going to call the vet to find out how much it costs to wether them as I can't take this much longer. I don't want to band them as I think it's kinda cruel. I'd rather they just cut and get it over with... like they geld horses.

·
1,524 Posts
I have 14 goats in a pen who scream non-stop if they see me or know I am at home. I ignore them and only feed them when they are quiet. They are much quieter than they were.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts