2 surprises in one week? Pics.....please help!! Pooch pic.

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by tuper, Jan 16, 2011.

1. tuper

tuper New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    I was given two goats in September. A doe and a buck. I was told that she wasn't bred yet, so I figured I would get a baby in the spring, BUT I got a surprise baby on Friday! Once I counted back the days, I figured she had to have been bred in August. Ooops!

Anyway, after some snafus (with daddy flinging the baby with his horns, she's fine, thank goodness) I have them seperated and daddy's on craigslist. I know for a 100% fact that he did not rebreed her. (Yes, I'm a complete newbie, and made some mistakes, but I am learning and moving forward!)

They spent the night in the house every night since Friday since it was below freezing here. They have shelter, but I didn't want to chance anything. When do you think it will be ok to leave them outside for the night? I live in south AL, and the temps normally aren't so cold. Brrrrrrrr!!!!

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the house, haha!
    [​IMG]

So today I learned of a doe that needed a new home. I knew nothing about her, other than she was around 2 years old, was bottle fed, and was a pet first and foremost. Since I am getting rid of my buck, I figured another doe would be good company for my mama. So I went and got her! (They are seperate as well for now.) I would love to know what you think she is (I was told she has nubian in her) and if you think she is bred. She lived next to a field of mixed breeds of goats....kids, does, bucks, you name it. The folks that gave her to me said they all got out and were mingling with each other, but they didn't think she was bred. I figure she probably is. Her feet are also a mess, so I need to work on them too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do you think she's bred? I have no time line whatsoever.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THANK YOU in advance!!

2. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Re: 2 surprises in one week? Pics.....please help!! Pooch

Gorgeous goats! Love them all :)

Your new goatie, I don't really see any Nubian in her, unless she happens to be a Mini-Nubian or a Kinder...It shows slightly in her nose as it is slightly convex and not really dished in. She is a really pretty doe and I'm not sure if she's pregnant or not. Maybe she will give you a surprise too! ;)

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

first the new baby is just a DOLL! :love:

as to your other doe she does look to have some kind of standard breed in her -- possibly nubian but unsure.

Did the people say when the other goats got out? her pooch is inconclusive at this time for me

4. tuper

tuper New Member

Oct 1, 2010

Thanks GotMyGoat and Stacey! She is soooooooooooooo cute too! We named her Popcorn because of the way she pops around all the time! <3

I guess her breed doesn't really matter, I was just curious. Her teats are really long, if that makes a difference. They said she for sure has never kidded before. I thought they looked suckled on, but they said she is a breed that they are just like that. ???

I think they said the goats got out "a couple months ago." Although the fence between them was crumpled down 4 foot horse wire. It's a miracle all the goats didn't get out and trot off! They never kept her fenced in, just tied her up when they wanted to go somewhere. They said she just hung around the house.

5. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Does anyone else think she looks possibly polled? :chin:
    She may have never kidded before. :shrug:

6. creekbottomgoats

creekbottomgoats Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Mississippi

The kid is just too cute. Your new goat looks like a sweet heart. :)

My goats would get in too much trouble if they weren't penned. They would eat something bad, get eaten or just hurt themselves. Sounds like she will be a happy girl with you.

7. tuper

tuper New Member

Oct 1, 2010

Polled meaning no horns? She doesn't have any horns. I very highly doubt these folks would have debudded her as a baby. And I am pretty sure if they say she hasn't had babies, she probably hasn't. Yet! I just know how other animals are, and if there is a female in heat right next door, it gets bred by a male. I certainly don't mind in the least, I love the babies! :D I just don't want to be surprised like I was this time!

I did have a question about horns though.....

My new baby doesn't seem to have "buds" yet. Does it take a little bit for them to come in? Both mama and daddy have horns. Also, baby has these little dangly bits on her neck, almost look like tear drops. Daddy has them too, but mama doesn't. What are those?? Sorry for the silly newbie questions!

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Your new little boy will get horn buds in a few days, those dangling things on his neck are called wattles, they serve no purpose just a little bit of goat jewelry :wink: Some goats have them and some don't.

Also...once the little guy is around 7 -8 weeks old, you may want to have him castrated if you intend on keeping him as a pet... mini bucklings can and are able to breed as young as 7 weeks, you definately wouldn't want him breeding his mom :wink:

9. tuper

tuper New Member

Oct 1, 2010

Wattles! Like Chickens, hahaha!

There are some folks that raise goats around here, I wonder if I can take her to them to get her disbudded. I will have to see if I can get in touch with some of them somehow. I have seen two of them when I drive down the road, and they look like honest to goodness PROFESSIONAL goat breeders vs. 99% of the rest who throw a ton of goats in a pasture and hope they breed and live. (I live in the south, in the country......nuff said!)

She is a girl, THANK GOODNESS!!!!!!!! So I don't have to worry about cutting. I would have figured out a way to do it ASAP if she had been a he!

Thank you for all the help and advice!

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

your new doe doesnt look polled but disbudded as a kid.

Chances of her being bred are there like you said -- but without a real date of breeding it will be a surprise for sure on a due date.