The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go again! Yesterday was our state 4-h show. In the first class of showmanship the judge says how nd are a dual purpose breed and he likes them meaty. Do i need to go on? So all of ours are sharp as a tack and dairy. Got to the junior classes and the judge said how elegant and dairy they were and put them way down. Some day we will get a goat judge that knows the difference between pygmys and nigerians, but i dont know when.

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
Sounds liek that judge needs to go read the ADGA and AGS Nigerian Dwarf standards. THey aren't dual purpose. The only dairy goat that's dual purpose is a nubian.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I personally like variety in my herd. I have some chunkies and I have some very slim, dairies. But, according to standard, they are a dairy breed. They CAN be dual purposed, if that is the purpose of your farm to have meat and dairy. The judge should be more acquainted with the current breed standards, even if I prefer some of mine to be dual-purposed. :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I'd heard they were dual purpose; and I don't see why they shouldn't be, but I don't think that necessarily means they need to have different standards, just use 'em for whichever purpose you need em for! :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just wish somebody would make up their minds! I thought it as all straightened out that nd are a dairy breed isnt that why the adga registers them? It does stand for american dairy goat association doesn't it?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
It drives me up a wall!

I love my slim dairy girls :) I don't like fat goats, as one, it doesn't look very elegant, and two, it's just not healthy for them...

I just wish judges would judge the Nigies like they do other dairy breeds! That's what they are!

And I think any breed can be duel purpose. That's what works for your farm.. BUT when you go to a DAIRY goat show, you want a DAIRY goat to place higher, not the meaty ones.. JMO I guess...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
That's disappointing. I am contemplating getting a Nigi and it would be nice to know what to look for. I'd like to place well if we're going to show them. sheesh. It's disappointing that the judges aren't using standard.
Well, depending on where you look, a lot of nice dairy breeders around here that do well, Rosasharn, Dragonfly, Fairlea...

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
DUAL purpose?! What?! Since when is ADGA registering dual purpose breeds? As hard as the nigerian breeders work to produce a true miniature DAIRY goat...what an insult to claim they are dual purpose and he likes the "meaty" ones over the dairy ones...it shouldn't be about what a judge "likes"....judge by breed standard...period! That is just sad.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Of course you are talking about a 4H judge in this case. An ADGA judge knows to judge them dairy.
we had this discussion back in June.. at a show we went to when the ADGA judge was picking all the fat chunky does to place ahead of the slim dairy does...
Now, I know there is more to being a dairy goat then just not fat.. But he rarely, if at all, placed his hands on these does to feel their skin or bones ect.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
LOL! My does are heavy on the milking lines SG throughout. Very much dairy. And dual purpose????! I would say they wouldn't dress out very heavy! I love their elegant lines. I have always lived the look of a good dairy animal. Goat or cow. I just don't understand this going away from the standard. These are not meat goats glad I'm not into showing anymore.

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
Interesting! Skyla, who was the judge at the show you were at? The judge at MD State definitely preferred the stockier does over the very dairy ones too. What really surprised (and disappointed) me was when he placed two very obviously overconditioned (they weren't just "strong boned, they were fat!) tubby dry yearlings first and second in the recorded grade class.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts