The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I had one young does that had a little diarrhea. Seemed fine other than that. She was still eating and everything so I gave her some pepto. Her diarrhea seemed to clear up the next day. Well a couple days ago I had two does come up with diarrhea so i did the same thing and gave them pepto. the diarrhea has seemed to have cleared up but they are very sickly acting. I thought maybe worms and it is about time to worm so I gave them some ivermectin. I also gave them some goat electrolytes because I am sure they are very dehydrated. They are still drinking water and eating (maybe not as much but some) They graze just a little but for the most part these last two days they have just been laying all day. Then in the evenings when i feed they come up and eat a little but you can look at them and tell they are sick. They just look real mopey :( Please help!!

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Check their lower inner eye lids....if they are not deep pink to red then they are anemic and can make them feel real lethargic...depressed, will stop eating ...here is a link to on how to check them
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.Ui9MmGSDTL8

I would also check their temp, be sure pneunomia isnt the problem...

here is a great electrolyte you can make at home goats seem to love..
Got this recipe from Tonia on the MO Ozarks Goat Group.

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

Also have a fecal done in a few days to be sure your wormer worked..ask to check for cocci as well

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
You really need to have a fecal done. Also make sure they check for coccidia. This needs to be done ASAP. Coccidia can be a killer.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
It means they are anemic...heavy worm load causes anemia...to treat:

Red Cell 6 cc per 100# double day one then reg. dose daily for a week then once aweek until you see good color
Vit. B 12 to help support their system and rebuild red blood cells..Or you can get B complex PLUS which has enough 12 in it
High protien feed, alfalfa and green leaves help the rebuilding of the red blood cells as well..

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I would keep up the electroyltes...I wouldnt worm again right now...give a chance for the first dose to work...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well we really dont have a vet locally where I live. I go home for lunch and i will check the eyelid and maybe take a picture and post it. Should I give them a little electrolytes when i get there??

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Yes offer both a dish of the electro and fresh water so they can choose...

If you can not have a fecal done, you can safely treat them for cocci with Dimethox or Sulmet which are both OTC treatments..since more than one has the runs..I would treat the heard...as for the Ivomec, I would retreat in 10 days then again in 10 days after that..then once more in 30 days...to get a clean system ...so that is 3 times 10 days aart then once more in 30 days...

Dont forget the temp...101.3-101.5 is normal range....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok just made it from home and yes both of their inner eyelids are WHITE WHITE!! I seen on the link that this is fatal. They both drank some electrolytes but they are very very weak. Please tell me what i need to do next so that maybe i can save these two. Do I need to give them more wormer this evening or what?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont have either of those meds. Which i do have a vet close as far as medicine goes but he doesnt really fool with anything but cats and dogs. but if there is some medicine that i might could give them i might could get it from him

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
okay I will call and see if they have this medicine. So you think just give them this and not anymore wormer and hope it treats them in time??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay so I gave them ivermectin yesterday and electrolytes....followed up with electrolytes today...so now i need to keep giving electrolytes...and i need to give them red cell and the albon??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts