The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what what do you start giving goats minerals and feed? I noticed yesterday our two week old doeling was eating dirt. What type of feed/grain do you recommend for her and my 3 month old wethers. What should I look for on the label?

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Kids will taste test everything! Its a normal part of growing up for both humans and goats ( I think my human kids were worse though lol)
Anyway, I'd have a creep feeder going for all of them, I used alfalfa pellets and some grain and fresh alfalfa hay. I put a mineral feeder in too with just a tablespoon or two in it because they mostly stuck their feet in it and got it dirty but after a while they got the idea of nibbling it. Since you have wethers watch for the 2:1 ratio to be maintained so they don't get stones.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Kids will taste test everything! Its a normal part of growing up for both humans and goats ( I think my human kids were worse though lol)
Anyway, I'd have a creep feeder going for all of them, I used alfalfa pellets and some grain and fresh alfalfa hay. I put a mineral feeder in too with just a tablespoon or two in it because they mostly stuck their feet in it and got it dirty but after a while they got the idea of nibbling it. Since you have wethers watch for the 2:1 ratio to be maintained so they don't get stones.
I always laugh at people sayin goats will eat anything.... nope sorry they are quite picky in what they eat.. however... they WILL taste nearly anything.... once

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
I always laugh at people sayin goats will eat anything.... nope sorry they are quite picky in what they eat.. however... they WILL taste nearly anything.... once
Mine won't even taste things. I brought a carrot and an apple in once, they sniffed the carrot and touched it with their noses and then RAN away. Just like my cat, I cut open a lemon for cooking and she came up to it, sniffed it, and again RAN away. LOL. Silly creatures. ;);)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Is your doeling on milk? Do you bottle feed her or is she being dam raised?
My bottle fed wether is 2 months old and we have just weaned him from milk onto hay and grain. Grain is not near as important as hay. To get their rumen developed correctly you should be giving her mostly hay, once she is ready to be weaned. I give my wether a handful of 16% sweet feed and then lots of Timothy hay. (Although alfalfa is good too.) And, of course, plenty of water.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine won't even taste things. I brought a carrot and an apple in once, they sniffed the carrot and touched it with their noses and then RAN away. Just like my cat, I cut open a lemon for cooking and she came up to it, sniffed it, and again RAN away. LOL. Silly creatures. ;);)
Same! My goats are sooo picky, haha! They won't even eat certain grains!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Is your doeling on milk? Do you bottle feed her or is she being dam raised?
My bottle fed wether is 2 months old and we have just weaned him from milk onto hay and grain. Grain is not near as important as hay. To get their rumen developed correctly you should be giving her mostly hay, once she is ready to be weaned. I give my wether a handful of 16% sweet feed and then lots of Timothy hay. (Although alfalfa is good too.) And, of course, plenty of water.
No wether, should EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER get sweet feed.

Most shouldn't get any sort of grain -- but if they are growing it is okay to give very small amounts of a balanced goat pellet. However sweet feed is the demise of many wethers even fed at small rates. Sweet feed isn't even good for does -- :ahh: A good goat pellet can be helpful.

And for your wether, if being fed timothy hay (and you don't have hard well water or anything) simply replace the handful of sweet feed with alfalfa pellets. Easy peasy lemon squeezy :clapping::great:

·
Registered
131 Posts

Most shouldn't get any sort of grain -- but if they are growing it is okay to give very small amounts of a balanced goat pellet. However sweet feed is the demise of many wethers even fed at small rates. Sweet feed isn't even good for does -- :ahh: A good goat pellet can be helpful.

And for your wether, if being fed timothy hay (and you don't have hard well water or anything) simply replace the handful of sweet feed with alfalfa pellets. Easy peasy lemon squeezy :clapping::great:
We got advice from a vet for the sweet feed. We have been giving our goats sweet feed for years and they are as healthy as can be. (Besides the parasites, which is environmental... ugh) but alfalfa pellets are definitely better... but as for budget these days sweet feed seems to be ok for our goatys :)

·
Registered
131 Posts

No disrespect intended, of course. :)

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
We got advice from a vet for the sweet feed. We have been giving our goats sweet feed for years and they are as healthy as can be. (Besides the parasites, which is environmental... ugh) but alfalfa pellets are definitely better... but as for budget these days sweet feed seems to be ok for our goatys :)
I would love to meet a vet that recommends sweet feed -- just to toss a pile of research on them :waiting:

I'm glad you're goats are doing well on it -- but I highly recommend taking any wethers off of sweet feed once they are grown.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She is being bottled fed whole cows milk. We have hay offered for her and she nibbles. She’s three weeks old today, we weighed her earlier and she 10.8 lbs. I just wasn’t sure about when to offer minerals and pellet goat feed to her. She was eating the dirt outside, which made new think maybe I should offer her minerals.

My wethers get feee choice minerals, hay, and grass/weeds in the pasture. We do give them some pellet goat feed and alfalfa pellets daily. They only weigh approx 20 lbs and are 3.5mths old. We just finished a treating them for coccidia and worms a few days ago. The vet gave us some meds for them and will be running anther fecal in a month.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
She is being bottled fed whole cows milk. We have hay offered for her and she nibbles. She's three weeks old today, we weighed her earlier and she 10.8 lbs. I just wasn't sure about when to offer minerals and pellet goat feed to her. She was eating the dirt outside, which made new think maybe I should offer her minerals.

My wethers get feee choice minerals, hay, and grass/weeds in the pasture. We do give them some pellet goat feed and alfalfa pellets daily. They only weigh approx 20 lbs and are 3.5mths old. We just finished a treating them for coccidia and worms a few days ago. The vet gave us some meds for them and will be running anther fecal in a month.
You do know to repeat the wormer in ten days right? :). For a total of two doses.

·
Registered
131 Posts
She is being bottled fed whole cows milk. We have hay offered for her and she nibbles. She's three weeks old today, we weighed her earlier and she 10.8 lbs. I just wasn't sure about when to offer minerals and pellet goat feed to her. She was eating the dirt outside, which made new think maybe I should offer her minerals.

I
I would love to meet a vet that recommends sweet feed -- just to toss a pile of research on them :waiting:

I'm glad you're goats are doing well on it -- but I highly recommend taking any wethers off of sweet feed once they are grown.
Thank you for the advice. We are planning on it. :)

·
Registered
3,990 Posts

Glad to see you did not get washed away by Barry.

Reactions: Tammy Lynn

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
They didn't give me enough for that. Should I go get more of what they gave me or do something over the counter?
Ask he vet what they gave you. It is most likeLy one that you can get at a farm supply store. That vet... ugh! All under dosing and not dosing twice does is create resistant worms. That vet should have told you this and given you enough for two doses. Grrrrrr!. And.. since they did not tell you this. Ask what worms they have and the egg count or have them print it out for you. We can make sure the stinkin vet at least gave you the right wormer and dose for what worms they have. Most often people do/need use two wormers together... not every time but often enough. Sometimes it is also necessary to do it three times. It just depends on what worms and the load each goat has.

You do not need repeat the coccidia med unless the next fecal shows it is still there or if there seems to be a problem. And if there were problems with lethargy or soft poop i would do another fecal to check. As it could be somethin so simple as they started eatin hay or grain and they have a bit of tummy troubles just from the new diet. Any diet changes need be made slowly. But since they are young they should be ok cause they are only nibbling at anything other than milk right now anyway.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Cats dislike lemon, can be used for guiding them from places you don't want them to visit. But a goat afraid of a carrot??? Never heard of. COULD the cat or someone have peed on it ????

As for Tammy Lynn's doeling, I would for sure try minerals! Welcome here, btw! :)

Their rumens will develop better the earlier they start trying hay, grass, twigs. This is their natural diet. If it is not already too late, do watch when they cud for the first time! Such a new experience for them!

For treats, try nice fresh non toxic leaves & twigs.
Although this can well be done over the Internet, I love "seeing" you toss a heap of books and reports on a ducking vet in a white rob! (rofl)
She was eating the dirt outside, which made me think maybe I should offer her minerals.
Do! And do not forget salt! If she does not need it, she will most probably not eat it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts