2 week old boer not wanting to eat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cajungoatmama, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Hello all! Around 2 weeks ago I was given 2 boer billys that were 3 days old at the time. Two days ago the biggest one suddenly lost his appetite and will hardly eat anything. I was feeding him about 8 oz. of Purina kid milk replacer 4 times a day. When I go to feed now, he acts all excited to eat, but sucks a few times and then stops and just stands there not wanting any more milk. He's not near as energetic as he has been either. I just don't have any idea what's wrong. The other little billy is doing great and would gladly eat his brother's share. Anyone have any suggestions about what could be wrong?

2. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Hi, I'm not sure I can help, but I'll try. The main thing I do know is a kid that age can go south in a flash so it is wise to be trying to figure it out now. Whenever a kid or any goat for that matter acts off the first thing I do is check their temp. I use a digital thermometer that just takes a few moments to get the reading and of course it is marked in black sharpie stating it is animal only. :eek:)
    Normal temp is about 101 to 103.
    Is there any change in his poop??? Any diarrhea or constipation?
    How is his breathing, normal and unlabored?
    How is his energy level, a kids blood sugar can drop when he suddenly stops eating so a little corn syrup or molasses mixed with water can be syringed (no needle) into his mouth to pep him up if needed.
    Plenty will say it is the milk replacer and suggest you switch to whole cows milk, I've used both with varying success. Good luck, Denise

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'd say give him a B shot, like 3 ccs and see if his appetite comes back. Are they eating hay and grain yet? Is he showing any signs of abdominal upset like grinding teeth or hunching up?

4. Thank ya'll for replying so fast. Ok, his temperature is 105.6. His poop seems to be fine, and yes his energy level is down. No, they're not eating hay or grain yet. What is a B shot? Do you think I could I get it at a feed store?

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    105.6 is high, is he breathing funny at all? B Complex you can get that from you local farm supply store. I would also start him on an antibiotic. Is it really hot there? Are they handling the heat ok?

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    There are three common things that I can think of causing fever and anorexia- entrotoxemia, coccidiosis and pneumonia.
    Is he bloaty at all?

7. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    that temp is too high, be sure he is out of the sun and get some fluid (nutridrench, gatorade) in him if you can as high temp can lead to dehydration. I personally would take him to the vet if thats possible and his brother too, because whatever he has his brother is likely to get as well. I would guess silent pneumonia and he will need antibiotics to recover. I don't mean to be an alarmist, but kids can die very quickly if not treated. Good luck, Denise

8. I brought him to the vet, but the vet didn't know what was wrong with him other than high fever, but he said Peter(the goat) wasn't dehydrated and that I must have been getting just enough liquids in him. Our vets around here don't really deal with goats very much...anyways, he gave him antibotics and banamine. Amazingly, when I got home, Peter had a really good appetite. I wouldn't let him have as much milk as he wanted though. I think I ought to slowly give him more. Hopefully this works. Thank you all for responding and I'll keep you updated on how he's doing. :)

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I hope all turns out well.I'm sorry I missed the post and wasn't any help. :oops:

10. Hi! Just wanted to say that Peter's doing fine. He back to his normal self, and starting this evening, he's going to be having real goats milk! :yum: Thanks!

11. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    that is great news!!!! SO glad he is doing well now. It can be so scary to have a sick baby. Denise