2 week old buckling acting OFF??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Mar 1, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Bootsies first born buckling isn't acting right. All the babies were running thru the barn today and having a blast and this little guy was pretty slow about it. I watched him nurse and when his bigger brother tries for the teat and wins he stands there looking defeated. His temp is at 102.6 and I tried to supplement with a bottle as he usually tries to suck at my fingers, no go. I got some nutri drench in him but he just opened his mouth and let it dribble out and did not like it at all. It is cold here and at times I notice the older girls standing like he does, I'm going to go back up in a bit to see if he will potty when I wake them and hope that he perks up. They are all nibbling on hay and trying grain and I first thot that he may have had too much hay and didn't want to nurse...he is smaller of the 3 but he was putting up a good fight when it came to eating before, but not tonite. Also. I put bag balm on Bootsie as these boys are getting rougher and her teats were really chapping, would this have not agreed with him?

2. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    I'd give him a shot of B Vitamin, just incase that's why he;s feeling sluggish.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    If you think he is just letting the others take over, try separating the others and leave him with mom so that he gets a good chance to nurse.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    He's not bloated at all is he?

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Lil' Bucky is doing fine today, he was attacking his moms udder just like his brothers and is even playing. Maybe I was just worried over nothing, though the little doelings here are so full of energy and literally bouncing off the walls the only 3 bucklings including this lil' guy are so laid back and lazy..they are fine and he is at a good weight for being almost 3 weeks old. Thanks for the advice though, I just panicked. :shrug:

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    My baby boys seem to be a little less hyper than the girls, sweeter too :love:

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You're right about that. They're all sweet but the boys aren't as "needy" as the girls...love them all and worry alot too. He just didn't seem "right" so I figured I'd get some opinions and we all know how even the smallest "not right" feeling can become something major if not tended to quickly. He's a sweet as ever now, maybe he was just feeling sleepy and wasn't too fond of my over attentiveness? O well, he's being a little buck, just like he should be :love:

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats ok, you were right on it. And thats good.