The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little doeling Garnet is 16 days old and right before she turned 2 weeks old she started grinding her teeth. Her temp is normal today 102.8. She is bouncing, eating, gaining and urinating (haven't seen any stool in a while, but her mother Pearl is also very good at eating all that comes out of her, so that is up in the air) There is not remnants of diarrhea on her bottom either, so coccidia may not be a factor.
Her diet consists mostly of mama's milk, a bit of browse and hay/alfalfa and she loves dirt..........

She was born 1lbs 13oz and she has finally made it 5 lbs today. We lost her sister, stillborn. So I am still a little scarred from the birthing experience since this was my first.

My overall question is, is teeth grinding always a sign of pain? She doesnt appear to be swollen or lethargic. I am taking her to the vet for piece of mind in the morning, just wanted to get some feedback until then, or maybe some good questions to ask the vet.

Thank you to everyone in advance.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Goat Forum mobile app

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is she nibbling on any solids yet?
Not really, here and there she will get pieces of alfalfa pellets, medicated pellets and a sunflower seed here and there, but nothing consistent and not often. Waiting until she is vaccinated for CDT, I am scared of her getting over eating disease from grains. But we let her sample.

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
While it's good not to dismiss it and keep an eye for other issues,, Sometimes they discover their teeth. My two bottle brats used to grind their teeth so hard it was like being in a symphony!! They were raised in house during cold of winter so we heard them all the time. Once I was sure it was not a health issue we just got used to it. So while it could indicate pain..usually tummy pain..it could also just be a new habit.
Here is a pic of Holly and Gemma, now 3 years old

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2hile it's good not to dismiss it and jeepneye for other issues,, Sometimes they discover their teeth. My two bottle brats used to grind their teeth so hard it was like being in a symphony!! They were raised in house during cold of winter so we heard them all the time. Once I was sure it was not a health issue we just got used to it. So while it could indicate pain..usually tummy pain..it could also just be a new habit.
Suppose I will find out tomorrow, wishing so hard now its nothing and she is in "discovery mode" I really have worried myself sick.

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
I get that. They do like to worry us. from what your post states..shes acting 100% normal other wise so keeping an eye on it is best you can do.

Reactions: LittleGreenBarn

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I get that. They do like to worry us. from what your post states..shes acting 100% normal other wise so keeping an eye on it is best you can do.
Oooh I just saw the pic of Holly and Gemma!!! They are lovely, and makes me feel a bit better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts