The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

We have a 2 week old buckling who is healthy and growing well but we just noticed this morning he has a very swollen knee and has started limping.

Do you think this is joint ill? Or could it possibly be something else?

We dipped his umbilical cord in iodine when he was born. We just checked his navel and theres still a bit of dried cord left and a bit of a bulge underneath? I have no idea how it's supposed to look.

Should we start treating with antibiotics? We have bio-mycin on hand. Thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
:groupwelcome: I have a few questions. What is the rectal temperature of the kid? Does the knee feel hot to the touch? Is there swelling, warmth in any of the other joints?
IF this is a case of joint ill, the antibiotic you have on hand isn't one that would be recommended for treating it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:groupwelcome: I have a few questions. What is the rectal temperature of the kid? Does the knee feel hot to the touch? Is there swelling, warmth in any of the other joints?
IF this is a case of joint ill, the antibiotic you have on hand isn't one that would be recommended for treating it.
Thanks for your response! His temp is 103.6. His swollen joint doesn't feel hot to the touch. All of the other joints look and feel normal.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
His temperature is bordering high. A normal temp is 101.5-103.5.
What breed of goat is he? Could he of maybe injured it ? Is he eating, drinking, nursing, peeing/pooping well?
What does he weigh? Is he a bottle baby or dam raised?
Sorry for all the questions but you have to be our eyes. I would confine him to a smaller area so he can't injure it further or over use it, and give banamine to help with the pain and swelling, or a baby aspirin if you don't have banamine.
I hope he feels better soon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
His temperature is bordering high. A normal temp is 101.5-103.5.
What breed of goat is he? Could he of maybe injured it ? Is he eating, drinking, nursing, peeing/pooping well?
What does he weigh? Is he a bottle baby or dam raised?
Sorry for all the questions but you have to be our eyes. I would confine him to a smaller area so he can't injure it further or over use it, and give banamine to help with the pain and swelling, or a baby aspirin if you don't have banamine.
I hope he feels better soon
He is a Nigerian dwarf and weighs over 7 pounds now (he was one of quadruplets) and is dam raised. He seems to be healthy otherwise. Weve been measuring his weight every day and he is growing and eating! I will keep a close eye on him and keep measuring his temp. I really really hope it's not joint ill...

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Welcome to the forum! He could have strsined or sprained it rough housing with siblings.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Please start treating him for Joint Ill. As said, it can't wait if you want a good recovery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do I treat him?
You can treat for joint ill, if it is, it can't wait.
Sorry your vet is on vacation, sure no help is it. :(
Please start treating him for Joint Ill. As said, it can't wait if you want a good recovery.
Our vet is on vacation until the 23rd. Should we try taking him to another vet or is it okay to wait a few days to start treatment? We've called around and taking him to another vet will cost a lot of money...

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
No, do not wait. You need strong vet rx type drugs. Soon, and often.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts