2 week old - poop questions

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Waltheraustin, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Waltheraustin

Waltheraustin New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Clyde TX
    Just got some baby goats on Saturday. I've noticed a few small pebbles from one maybe both but I'm not entirely sure. Now it's 3 days later and we haven't seen any poop from either one of them. They are both still on bottles so I'm not really sure what to expect since it's their first time. I just offered water for the first time since picking them up. please let me know what to expect or if I should be doing something other than bottle feeding with a little bit of water just now introduced.

Thanks in advance!

2. Waltheraustin

Waltheraustin New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Clyde TX
    Here they are in all their glory

Attached Files:

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    What cutie pies!!

What milk do you feed and how much? Replacers or being over fed can plug them up.
    Don't feed water in bottles...that will cause a whole other mess of troubles. its ok to offer a small bowl of water for them but milk will provide all they need. At 2 weeks I make sure they have access to a bit of hay, leaves and a tiny bit of feed. They wont eat much but will begin to play with it and get a taste for it and start building their rumen.

4. Waltheraustin

Waltheraustin New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Clyde TX
    Thanks! They are so freaking cute! they are almost too cute and I'm an older guy (40s) lol.

Right now we just finished mom's milk and have switched over to vit d milk. We have a bowl out but they haven't played with it much. I was worried about the lack of poop but maybe that is expected right now. I'll get hay tomorrow (or tonight). We just finished up goat showing season so still have some left at the ag barn.

Thanks again!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    How old are your new additions? Some things to try to help them to poop would be to gently wipe their little hind ends with a warm wash cloth to stimulate a movement. Another tip would be to give them a soapy water enema. They need to poop regularly and fairly often.

Get a weight on the little darlings and adjust the amount of milk if over feeding is the issue behind the constipation. Post the individual weights once you get them weighed and someone will tell you how to calculate the amount needed at each feeding. It's based on approximately 10-15% of their body weight in ounces divided by the number of times per day they are being fed.

Also, since they are being switched over to whole milk, add a pinch of baking soda to the first bottle only of the day.

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Good milk choice. How much are they being fed?

7. Waltheraustin

Waltheraustin New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Clyde TX
    They are getting 3 oz of milk 4 times a day. So are they supposed to be pooping often at 2 weeks (today)

8. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

40s is not old! They are so cute. Water in a bowl always and hay available. You can do an enima if you are worried.

happybleats likes this.
  9. thelittlegraybarn

thelittlegraybarn New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Michigan
    Your going to see a change in bowl patterns because you just switched their milk. Are you using store bought milk that has been pasteurized and homogenized?

10. Waltheraustin

Waltheraustin New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Clyde TX
    Hello and yes, it's store bought milk, should I get elsewhere like tractor supply or jackson brothers? Thanks everyone! Nervous about keeping these guys happy!

11. Waltheraustin

Waltheraustin New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Clyde TX
    They ran out of their own mom's milk after a few days and then was told to use vit d but now I'm not sure if it was supposed to come from somewhere other than that reg vit d from a store.

12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes buy quality whole cows milk from the store.

They should be fed 10-12% of their body weight in oz. To figure this out..weigh babies and multiply that by 16 to get their weight in oz. Then multiply that number by 10-12% to see how much milk per daybthey need..then divide into 4 bottles . Feel tummies after each bottle to make sure they are good.. you want a flat but firm belly..not too poochy and not sunken in. Adjust amount accordingly. Re weigh babies weekly and adjust the amount they need. Bottle babies will guilt you into feeding more than they need..but too much milk will sit undigested and cause baby to be sick. Can take 2 weeks of undigested milk to build up and cause issue.
    I would go ahead and give an enema now..wont hurt at all but can help get things moving. A warm water and oil enema works well. Some like doing a warm water and soap.

13. Waltheraustin

Waltheraustin New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Clyde TX
    Ok, thanks!! Appreciate all of the help and responses! Our family is over the moon about these animals. Spoiling rotten is in full effect!

happybleats likes this.
  14. Waltheraustin

Waltheraustin New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Clyde TX
    I got them hay last night and let them start playing with it. I just got word from home that they are pooping! Whew! I'll definitely get a weight together for some help.

You all are awesome! Thanks so much!

happybleats likes this.
  15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Great advice by all.

You are doing a good job with them.

Waltheraustin likes this.
  16. thelittlegraybarn

thelittlegraybarn New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Michigan
    If whole milk from the store works for you then please by all means use it. However, I fundamentally disagree with the suggestion. I'd recommend disease free raw goats milk, raw cows milk, and milk replacer in that order. I understand scours are scary and messy however they are self limiting and as long as the kid keeps eating, and acts like a normal kids as far as activity in concerned it will pass in a few days or less.

With that said your store bought milk is homogenized and pasteurized. When this process occurs valuable proteins, vitamins, and minerals are reduced and and or physically changed. It also becomes acidic as the days pass.

Hence why more Vitamin D is added at the milk plant just as one example. Milk from the store also lacks many vitamins and minerals goats need to grow up healthy. Copper, Selenium, Vitamin E just to name a few. If I can't get clean goats or cows milk I'd highly recommend milk replacer. (Currently using it was our Alpine buck) With any change it will take time for their body to adjust but the benefits vs risk of a a few scours during the transition in my opinion is worth it. I hope this helps.

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I and others uses store bought whole cows milk with no issues and the kids do just fine.
    I and some others also add buttermilk and other things to mix as well. For a even better balance.

18. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Raw is wonderful and full of goodies..but should be from a tested herd..cae in goats and cows can pass Johnes...raw can also be hard to find for some. While I have dairies all around my area...many do not. Store bought is next best, and imo.better choice than replacer.

19. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Giving raw milk should only be done if you can have it from a tested source. With Gizmo I got hold of tested raw cows milk. It made him so ill. So I sourced raw goats milk and it made him ill. When I used whole cows milk with 1 teaspoon of replacer. That worked and he thrived on it.
    It is so dangerouse to just get raw milk. It must be tested and the baby must be prepared properly for the change.
    You are doing great.

20. Amber21

Amber21 Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Can I piggy back off this question? I am sleep deprived between three bottle babies and family issues.

Weighed my goats, 2 are a week old today, one is 4 days old. They are 114oz, 67oz, and 117 oz. Am I screwing up the math that the biggest one only needs 11.7 oz of milk a day? He has been getting about 30! I knew that was too much, but my brain hasn’t caught up yet. If I cut them back that much I can see three very unhappy little babies. What do I do!?