2 year old doe with full bag acting bucky?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by VedaTheGoat, Jun 24, 2020.

1. VedaTheGoat

VedaTheGoat New Member

Jun 24, 2020
    British Colombia
    I have a 2 year old alpine doe who has never been bred who has a large bag and is acting bucky (licks her lips, tries to mount other doe, flicks her lip out, and can be very aggressive with her horns). This all started back in October/November 2019. I talked to a vet and tried treating her for ovarian cysts in April with 2cc of Factrel (RnGh or something) and 10 days later I gave her 0.5cc of estromate. I didn't notice any difference in behaviour after that or when I flipped her when she hit me.

Recently, I have also noticed her hair is thinning mostly around her neck and today she was stomping her feet out of nowhere (it wasn't aggressive, she wasn't walking, and there weren't many bugs out. She is up to date on her copper bolus.

I am fairly new to having goats (2 years) and any suggestions or solutions would help. Thanks.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Do you give any supplements? Do you have loose mineral out for them? Have you checked for lice or mites?

3. VedaTheGoat

VedaTheGoat New Member

Jun 24, 2020
    British Colombia
    I give them copper bolus twice a year, and they get free choice loose mineral and baking soda. I haven't seen any external parasites on them. Are they hard to see?

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Sounds like her hormones are out of whack. Have you tried breeding her?. She most likely will struggle to take but if you can get her bred, this may help reboot her hormone issue. May have to try with vet involved as treatment for the cystic ovaries will be needed. In the mean time..check her udder to be sure all looks OK. No hardness, redness or heat..clean her udder and teat, then squirt some milk out to check for color and smell. You don't want to find pus, blood, chunks or flakes nor foul smell.
    I'll have to look up my notes on cycstic ovary protocol

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    MadHouse and goatblessings like this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. VedaTheGoat

VedaTheGoat New Member

Jun 24, 2020
    British Colombia
    I have not tried breeding her yet. Is it common for cystic ovaries to persist even after treatment? Are they that stubborn?

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California