The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Went out to put goats in barn tonight and 2 year old male pygmy was laying in corner of yard. Checked his limbs for lacerations, broken bones, etc... none.. Made him get up and he started walking backwards and pawing dirt... layed back down. I had to leave for about an hour, came back and he was about 5 feet away from original place... called my breeder, as I'm pretty ignorant about stuff that can go wrong.. my 3 have been totally healthy for the 2 years I've had them... haven't heard back from her. Gave him hay and he ate it, and drank water.. didn't give grain as know that can worsen bloat if that's what it is. He pooped, and it was totally normal, but he's acting like he's in pain trying to pass more.. like he's trying to have a baby, backing up, and laying back down. He got up enough to go into the barn and pooped, layed down. Any ideas would be really helpful.. his eyes look clear,seems normal except for acting like he's trying to pass something... tail up and straining. Thanks so much.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Has he peed? Is his stomach hard or tight, to where it might be bloated? Trying to pass something immediately draws me to UC, constipation or bloat.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
For bloat, you will have to rub his stomach, walk him, and give him some mineral oil and baking soda.

For Urinary Calculi, you need Ammonium Chloride... forgot the dosage!! :confused: I know you can give ACV or fresh fruit in absence of ammonium chloride...

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
Im thinking UC as well...feel around his pee area...is it wet> do you feel any crystals near his penis?? Do not force him to drink more..if he cant pee you dont want his bladder full....Call a Vet ASAP...and get him proper help...Urinary Calculi is hard to deal with on your own...please call your vet...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok... thanks so much for the replies so far.. what am I looking for if I feel his penis? Is it supposed to be wet for normal or dry for normal? Going to check..... back in a few...

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
it should be dry...if its wet then he is splattering trying to pee..or if its dry but the ara feel like a water balloon..he is filling up and cant pee ..I have never had UC in my bucks..and Im going based on my reading...ammonium chloride is treatment
here is what tennessee meat goats said:
Vets recommend that ammonium chloride be used to treat Urinary Calculi. Ammonium chloride can be purchased in small quantities (four-pound packages) from Pipestone Vet Supply at 1-800-658-2523. Here are the dosing instructions provided to me by a producer who has been successful in using Ammonium chloride to cure Urinary Calculi. Mix the following in 20 cc water and orally drench: One (1) teaspoon Ammonium chloride per 75 lbs bodyweight every 12 hours for 2 days, then 1/2 tsp AC per 75 lbs bodyweight every 12 hours for the next 3 days, then 1/2 tsp once a day for 3 days, then 1/4 tsp daily as a preventative. Dosages are based upon 75 lb liveweights. Ammonium chloride burns the throat, so stomach tube it into the goat.
SOmetimes theonly effective treatment is to snip the "pizzle" off so stones can pass...
The pizzle is the "curley-qued" appendage on the end of the penis.
a vet is highly recommended

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
If you have banamine..I would give him some...will help with the pain

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking now it's UC... his penis area is dry, his brother's is damp, which I assume is normal, and he's stretching his legs out like he's trying to pee. Where do I get AC?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After reading last 2 posts: His penis area is not engorged at all... pretty flacid, and tube is small and straight back.. didn't feel anything weird, but I'm not really sure what is normal... lol. I'll call vet asap

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
A vet would be a good idea...keep us posted..as we worry along with you!!
best wishes!

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
If it is UC only a vet can get in there and remove the stone. The problem is, where there is one there is always more. The surgery will cost anywhere from 300-600 depending upon the vet but they cant clean out the other stones so you could be revisiting this problems in as little as a few weeks or months. Am sorry to say, most UC boys are just put down as the AC is a preventative not a cure.

·
I'm watching you
22,538 Posts
Wow, a little dark there. For that kind of price the vet does sweep the bladder and remove the other stones. There are 2 different surgeries that can be done, both prevent the stones from becoming a problem if the goat is predisposed to them. AC only prevents stones caused by over feeding grain. There are other types...

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
Hows your little man this morning??

I respectfully disagree with TDG...not all cases of UC end in having to put the buck down...most clear up successfully and changing the feeding plan, will help prevent further stones. If you little man does have UC...we can help you on his new diet... ;)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
I am happy that you guys see the lighter side of this. Me, being in the pack goat world, UC is the goat killer most fear, as it effects wethers most of all. So my stance maybe be dark but its just from experience. Most cases end badly... very badly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It's 10:10 am, Sat. morning, and I'm waiting for a call from the vet. Was at the vet till 1:30 am. It's definitely UC... we got one stone out, but there was still no pee coming out, so I'm not very hopeful :blue: Left him overnight to see if he peed during the night. The vet cut off the end of the urethra, etc... On the humorous side, I now know everything you could know about goat penises, as I got to be a part of the whole visit! I'm sooooo hoping to get a positive report any minute.... he's our favorite one ...
So, for now, no more grain for my other wether.... I'll take any ideas for a better diet for him/them :)

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
so glad your vet was involved...prayers sent !!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We lost him :(. Vet called this morning and he hadn't peed all night and ultra sound showed his bladder full. His name was Roscoe, and he was our most social guy... always wanted to know what we were doing, acted more like a dog than a goat. We'll miss him... here's a pic of him with my husband... thanks all of you for your help.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts