The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
My heart is breaking for your lose... I have see so many people go through this and it rarely ends well. Every time I hear about a UC victim I instantly think of Legion and how it would nearly kill me to lose him. Again so sorry.

On a side note. My vet and I are testing out a theory. Last year my vet wethered a prospect with a burdizzo and it only took on one side. So it left him with one nut still intact. But he totally acted fully castrated. The only reason I even caught it was his hair growth and the size of his horns. His beard, although not fully formed was still must more substantial then what it should of been and his horns were freaking huge. So did some investigating and sure as poo, one nut was full size. So to cut to the end, we are going to start just doing one nut and see if the same thing happens to all the boys. If so, then this would allow to keep boys intact longer (will still need to be fully done. Most likely before the following breeding season) which would allow them nearly 2 full years of urinary track development but still effective stop the bucky behavior. It will take some time to test this fully but it is in the works and if anyone also uses the burdizzo method, Id like to welcome anyone to also join in and pass on results. Though I am not sure if it will work for pygmies as pygmy bucks are DRIVEN! :)

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
How terrible :tears: Sorry that we couldn't do more. I'm sure Roscoe had a very happy life with you and his goat-family. Sorry for your loss :hug:

·
Registered
31,490 Posts
Im so sorry...:( always so sad to loose one...Sounds like he brought you a ton of happiness....

21 - 26 of 26 Posts