2010 Breedings, Who do you think they should be bred to?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sweet Gum Minis, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I would love to get some opinions on my 2010 breeding schedule. I tried to set-up a poll, but it wouldn't allow enough options. I have some animals I'm positive of who they will be bred to and why. The problem comes with a few others who have either more than one option or if I keep going between more than one buck for them. So I would love to hear what you guys think and why if you want to elaborate. Here's info on the animals involved.

First the pedigree info. Does first...

Buttin'Heads Tachauna (Anna)
    Dam: Buttin'Heads Montserrat
    Sire: Buttin'Heads Lepryechaun *S

SGM RB Patience
    Dam: Caesar's Villa P Faith
    Sire: J-Nels SQ River Birch

SGM FR Jitterbug
    Dam: SGM AZ Danse The Cha-Cha (Buttin'Heads Too Contredanse x Better Blues HR Anna's Zeus)
    Sire: SGM S Faith's Revelation(Caesar's Villa P Faith x Caesar's Villa P Stedman *S)

SGM PTC Echinacea
    Dam: Little Tot's Estate Minuet
    Sire: Kids Corral PT Cruiser

Bucks

SGM S Faith's Revelation
    Dam: Caesar's Villa P Faith
    Sire: Caesar's Villa P Stedman *S

Gypsy Moon XCaliber
    Dam: Rosasharn TL Sun Dance
    Sire: Pride of Texas Gladiator

J-Nels SQ River Birch
    Dam: MCH/CH J-Nels ER Dumplin(J-Nels BB Dimples x Caesar's Villa LV Eric *S)
    Sire: Rosasharn SS Sequoia *S

SGM FR Tachauna's Crescendo
    Dam: Buttin'Heads Tachauna
    Sire: SGM S Faith's Revelation

SGM FR Indigo
    Dam: Caesar's Villa FL Fuchsia 'VG'
    Sire: SGM S Faith's Revelation

About each doe...

Anna is the dam of Crescendo so he is not listed as an option for her. Though a linebreeding is possible there, I felt it was best to use an unrelated buck instead seeing as how 4 of my 5 bucks available, aren't related to her. Anna was bred to Revelation for 2009 and gave me a single buckling whom I feel is an excellent quality buckling. I listed a rebreeding option because I liked that crossing. The hold back is that Anna is 9 years old. I don't know how many more kiddings she'll have and her only kiddings here have always been bucklings. I'm hoping for a doeling!

Patience is out of Faith by River, she is a half sister to Revelation and an aunt to Crescendo and Indigo. She's out of River so that leaves 1 unrelated buck, XCaliber. I am doing a linebreeding with her sister to Crescendo. I felt it was best to use a different buck to see the results of two different crossings. For now I'm leaning towards XCaliber. Patience and her sister Serenity are going to be first fresheners.

Jitterbug is out of Cha-Cha (Buttin'Heads lines) and Revelation. So she's related to 3 of the 5 bucks. River and XCaliber are unrelated to her. I've been planning her to River, but what do you think? Jitter will be a first freshener.

Echinacea is not related to anything I have. She is out of Little Tot's and Kids Corral lines. None of my bucks are out of those lines. My bucks are all Caesar's Villa, Rosasharn and Buttin'Heads. So she's a complete toss up to whom she should be bred to. She is a rounded junior which is from her dam's side of things. She looks just like her dam did as a kid but she filled out into a fabulous yearling and shed that baby fat. She is a very nice dairy doe now. So I'm hoping for a repeat of that with Eck. I've been thinking of using a very refined buck on her and Revelation is the #1 on my list for that. What do you think? Eck will be a first freshener too.

Here's the options since the poll didn't work.

Anna & Revelation (repeat of 2009 where Crescendo was born)
    Anna & River
    Anna & XCaliber

Patience & XCaliber
    Patience & Crescendo (aunt/nephew breeding. Her littermate sister is being bred to Crescendo)
    Patience & Indigo (aunt nephew breeding.)

Jitterbug & River
    Jitterbug & Crescendo (half sibs)
    Jitterbug & XCaliber

Echinacea & Revelation
    Echinacea & River
    Echinacea & XCaliber
    Echinacea & Crescendo

Thanks for reading and thanks for sharing your opinion. I appreciate it! :D

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Anna & Revelation (repeat of 2009 where Crescendo was born) I would repeat this -- I dont like how River and XCaliber both toe out and you might only get this last breeding with her.
    Anna & River
    Anna & XCaliber

Patience & XCaliber - nice level buck I think especially due to the relationships below he is a good choice
    Patience & Crescendo (aunt/nephew breeding. Her littermate sister is being bred to Crescendo)
    Patience & Indigo (aunt nephew breeding.)

Jitterbug & River - I like this paring -- she needs that level back -- she dips in the chine a bit

Jitterbug & Crescendo (half sibs)
    Jitterbug & XCaliber

Echinacea & Revelation - again due to the toe out I think he is a good choice - and you liked his paring due to his body type which I also like too

Echinacea & River
    Echinacea & XCaliber
    Echinacea & Crescendo

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Thanks for your opinion Stacey, it looks like you said all the breedings I'd planned out so great minds must think alike. ;) I had been thinking of doing the rebreed with Anna & Rev but my hubby kept saying I should use a different buck. However, I still like this crossing. It worked really well and I may luck out and get a girl this time.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how many girls did you get from Revelation so far? if his buck ratio is real high then it might better to try a different buck who has a higher doe ratio but I still think Revelation is by far your best buck in the herd just MHO

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Thank you, I do really appreciate all the nice words about Rev. He's by far my favorite too, but I am bias considering he was born here. LOL As for buck-doe ratio. At this point its too early to be sure. I tend to believe odds by year influence things a lot with each buck, but in the long run bucks do prove to be either buck producers, doe producers or even. However, I've only had the one season with these guys to be sure. Here's what we have had though to run this little experiment. We'll see what we get in 2010 to compare too. I love figuring up things like this too. :D

Revelation
    3-2-09 Single :boy:
    3-6-09 Quads :boy: :boy: :girl: :boy: (Remember that this is Fuchsia, who came to me producing ONLY bucks, but has given me a girl every year. So I don't blame him for her weird buck producing. LOL)
    3-19-09 Single :girl:
    So he's only the daddy of 3 litters. I hope to have a lot more girls from him. 4 :boy: to 2 :girl:

River
    2-28-09 Twins :boy: :boy:
    3-11-09 Triplets :boy: :girl: :girl:
    3-12-09 Single :boy:
    3-28-09 Twins :girl: :boy:
    5-14-09 Single :boy:
    So he's fathered 5 litters, 6 :boy: to 3 :girl:

XCaliber has only sired one kid, which is a :girl: .

I sure hope 2010 is a doe year!